Anybody use defragment utility in their Win environment?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gahideg, Jul 15, 2010.

1. gahideg macrumors newbie

Just wanted to know if there is any kind of issue with using the defragment utility within the Windows environment on our macs? I do not want to "re-order" the 1's and 0's if there is any kind of weird issue. I use my MBPro17 for architectural work on the Windows side (sorry, Revit only runs on this side and I do not have the time yet to invest in trying ArchiCad), and doing any kind of maintenance is done with extreme scrutiny as I cannot afford for my machine to go down. I had to repartition my NTFS BootCamp partition last time to make more room and I lost the whole thing due to a disk error. I tried to re-install the WinClone image and that failed....that led to 18 hours of reinstalling Windows Vistax64, Revit, all my Adobe products, Microsoft Office, etc (ugh!).
    So, just curious if defragmenting causes any probs in the Win side. Would be nice if I could figure a foolproof way to clone my BootCamp partition with all its appplication data intact (I know, another thread!).
    Thanks

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

3. gahideg thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

i have windows XP. I use a free application Defraggler.
    Not yet had any problems after defragmentation.

5. OpenLaszlo macrumors member

OpenLaszlo

I have an entire disk maintenance studio installed on my Windows 7 partition (Auslogics Boostspeed) and I run it weekly on the HD. I've had no problems int the 5 months I've been using it, and my installation has remained nice and snappy.

6. theheyes macrumors regular

The built in defrag is fine.

Also look at the built in backup utility to create a full system clone you can restore from.

7. gahideg thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the built-in back-up utility really work for creating a clone...

of my entire Windows Vista system? If so, how do I restore the clone if/when my Windows system goes down? I had it happen before and Winclone just errored out on me instantly (all those weekly Winclone "images" for naught!).
    It would be nice to know the totally cut and dry way of cloning the whole thing with my apps and all.
    Thanks