anybody use DVI to Mini DisplayPort converter for PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I see that the Gefen DVI to Mini DisplayPort converter is on sale at MacMall for $82. See the link below. I'm wondering if anyone has used this for PC gaming? I've got a good gaming PC. I have a 24" ACD that I use with my MacBook Pro. I'm wondering if using this converter would be good with PC gaming. I understand the thing does active conversion since native is not possible between the two formats. Any chance this thing would slow down the signal and hinder PC gaming performance?

http://www.macmall.com/p/5791682?source=mwbfroogle&dpno=7935164&ref=dynamitedata.com#pdpOverview

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Why can I go from MDP to HDMI with a simple adapter, but not from MDP to HDMI?

3. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

I don't follow.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Because DisplayPort can carry an HDMI/DVI signal, but DVI/HDMI cannot carry a DisplayPort signal.

Because HDMI sucks, that's why.

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Bah, I typed that wrong... I meant MDP on my iMac to DVI on my Samsung display :eek: but you answered it anyway :)

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I use the Apple display port to DVI adapter for my external from my MBP. think it was like $20 or something. Works fine for PC games if I play em on boot camp. no issues at all.