Anybody use the apple watch as their morning alarm clock?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
With the recent issues of iphones randomly switching off for whatever reason I’ve been paranoid that my iphone will just shut off in the middle of the night so for my day shift 5am wake up call i’ve been using the apple watch. Thinking might just use this going forward instead of 2 going off at the same time.

I have a night stand for it so i always charge it up every night anyway. Anybody else use this as your main alarm clock?

fox1401

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
the iPhone alarm ringtone is more "annoying" and serves it wake you up function better. XD

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I use my watch as my alarm clock when I need to wake up at a specific time. Since wOS2 the alarm is more attention grabbing than it used to be. If you haven't tried it since the software change, maybe give it another go.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would be afraid the silent alarm of the AW on my wrist would,not wake me up. My iPhone has always woke me up without fail and it will continue to do so.
unless it randomly decided to switch off.

the apple watch alarm in night stand mode is actually fairly loud

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
unless it randomly decided to switch off.

the apple watch alarm in night stand mode is actually fairly loud

I have owned every iPhone from day one and never had it just shut off. I guess it could happen one day but until then my iPhone 6S+ has worked without flaw like the rest of them.

The night stand mode is a joke to me, to each his/her own.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have owned every iPhone from day one and never had it just shut off. I guess it could happen one day but until then my iPhone 6S+ has worked without flaw like the rest of them.

The night stand mode is a joke to me, to each his/her own.
What don't you like about it?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What don't you like about it?
It is not that I do not like it but I have a LED clock on my dresser where my iPhone and watch charge. When the iPhone alarm goes off I have to get out of bed to turn it off. That is what works for me.

As far as the watch goes I am quickly falling out of love with it as I just got back from my run and my average HR is shown at 69 bpm where it normally should be in the 140 bpm range. I look at the data and my HR was not even being recorded a good part of the run. This is the third time my AW has done this from last weekend. Glad I am wearing my Fitbit on the other arm. This is my third AW and I am coming to the realization that the HR sensor is inferior compared to other devices.

The JTizzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Maine
With the recent issues of iphones randomly switching off for whatever reason I’ve been paranoid that my iphone will just shut off in the middle of the night so for my day shift 5am wake up call i’ve been using the apple watch. Thinking might just use this going forward instead of 2 going off at the same time.

I have a night stand for it so i always charge it up every night anyway. Anybody else use this as your main alarm clock?
Been using it for a few weeks now ever since I started wear my watch to bed to use Sleep++ to track my sleep patterns.

Reactions: Skorpio

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
Been using it for a few weeks now ever since I started wear my watch to bed to use Sleep++ to track my sleep patterns.
I not only use the Sleep Time app by Azumio on the iphone for it's (general) analysis, but more importantly, it's awesome gradient alarm sound. Then, as my back up (snooze) I use the iphone's alarm set 5 min. later.
And now, I am charging my watch 30 min. before bedtime to bring the battery up to 90% or more, enabling airplane mode and trying out the Sleep++ watch app with it's own analysis, all while the watch alarm is set 10 min. later (snooze+) than my iphone's alarm as a back up to my back. I think I'm covered

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
It is not that I do not like it but I have a LED clock on my dresser where my iPhone and watch charge. When the iPhone alarm goes off I have to get out of bed to turn it off. That is what works for me.

As far as the watch goes I am quickly falling out of love with it as I just got back from my run and my average HR is shown at 69 bpm where it normally should be in the 140 bpm range. I look at the data and my HR was not even being recorded a good part of the run. This is the third time my AW has done this from last weekend. Glad I am wearing my Fitbit on the other arm. This is my third AW and I am coming to the realization that the HR sensor is inferior compared to other devices.
I can't seem to have any problem with the Apple Watch recording my heart rate. If I use one of my cheap bands or the sport band, I never seem to miss a single reading and it is always spot on. When I used my link bracelet, I had all kinds of problems keeping the heart rate because it would slide a little.

I tried super tight for golfing and that wasn't very good either. Running or basically any exercise minus golf simply needed my watch firm win no movement.

Sorry you haven't had as much luck.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I've been using the watch in nightstand mode for an alarm for a couple of weeks now. No problems, works great. I like it better than using the iPhone since it's easier to get to the buttons to turn off the alarm.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yes...I use the Nightstand Mode alarm to wake me up every morning. Fortunately it is loud enough to wake me, but quiet enough that my wife doesn't fully wake up (I get up earlier than she does). If I want to snooze, I put the watch on my wrist so it silently wakes me up using haptics.

Sean

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
i used to use my phone, but with OS2 and Nightstand mode, I prefer using the watch. it's nice to have the tactile buttons for the "snooze" and "off" button rather than fumbling with the phone hoping to shut it off.

DintheD

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Detroit
I've been using my AW as my alarm clock since OS 2 came out and it works perfectly. Much less harsh than using the iPhone alarm, but still loud enough to wake you up even if you're sound asleep. Worked great when I traveled out of town last week, too. (I never trust hotel alarm clocks or wake-up calls.)

Reactions: NavySEAL6

Krabba

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA
Yep, been using it that way since I got mine in June and it really became more useful with Nightstand Mode. I'm not a super heavy sleeper so the alarm volume and tone is perfect for me. I also like that the screen brightens as the scheduled alarm time approaches. I've caught myself waking up a minute or two before the alarm just starring at the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.