Anybody use the iPad in lectures? What is it like for education

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guvna, Jun 11, 2011.

1. guvna, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

guvna macrumors newbie

Going to uni in a few months and am thinking about getting an iPad. Is it any good for note taking? Do many people use them in class?

That is not all I would use it for but could help me justify getting one

2. hansvon macrumors member

Get a keyboard dock. The onscreen keyboard is intuitive but still far inferior to actual physical typing. That and your iPad in your backpack are a lot lighter and take up a lot less space than lugging around your laptop and possibly your charge. As for actual apps, Penultimate is good for freehand notes, especially if you get a stylus. You can also of course get Pages. I haven't tried Evernote but I hear that's good too.

Don't worry about if other people in class use them. If they do, cool, if not, you'll be the cool kid. Really, in university, nobody honestly cares how youtake notes, if you show up, sleep in class (unles you snore of course :) ). Good luck!

3. macrat, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

macrat macrumors regular

When I need to do some serious note-taking like when I attend meetings/seminars I take notes with Notes Plus and a Griffin Stylus. It can also record voice while you are taking notes so that combo is really perfect for me. (I'm now testing another Stylus called AluPen and I think it is a better stylus altho' it is thick.) In my opinion the handwriting apps /notes give you more use for the iPad. I also use the Penultimate app. for just casual note-taking or scribbling simple reminders.

I find the this type of notetaking is more natural to me than banging on those keyboards like crazy specially that I am not a fast typist :D

Ever since I bought my iPad 2 a month ago, I haven't opened my Macbook at all. But I'm not a student, so that might be a different scenario.

4. MRiOS macrumors regular

I bought a Clamcase for my iPad, it works great to take notes in class and since the clam case makes it look like another netbook I don't get weird stares like I've seen some people get when using them. (I go to a community college for some of the basic classes to save $$$ and it's like some people think that iPads are only for stanford students, not everyone else.)

5. macgrl macrumors 65816

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? i am thinking of getting one to do a research degree to suppliment my macbook pro want to go to the library and just do notes from books.

I am torn between that or just committing to getting an air

6. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

the ipad is very good for note taking, and when i'm sitting down at a desk, i type just as quickly on the ipad's virtual keyboard as i do on my macbooks keyboard. i'd definitely go for the ipad for lectures.
    very light, very portable, great for note taking. if not though, your macbook will do the job very well also :)

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

It's great. I've tried different apps, it turns out the "Pages" is the best. The next iOS 5 update with iCloud will be even better because it will Sync between you iPhone and Mac.

I reckon the on screen keyboard is easy to type on too. :D

I love my iPad 2. When I look back what I did on the iPad so far, it's truly magical. I use my iPad more than my MacBook Air now.

8. lewisozz macrumors member

lewisozz

I use my iPad for taking notes in class, combine it with Evernote and it is fantastic because all your notes are easily accessible anywhere you are and it saves you lugging around a notebook. I would recommend getting a wireless keyboard though for when you have to type quickly!

9. iOS 5 macrumors newbie

I surf Trolldad.com on my iPad during lecture

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I used my iPad last semester instead of my laptop, and I had no problem keeping up with lecture as I typed on the touchscreen in Pages. With MobileMe integration and the ability to save it as a .doc made that much easier to flip over to a school computer to print(the school doesn't have any AirPrint supported printers). My iPad just plain beat out my laptop in terms of battery life and mobility. I didn't even have to take a charger for it and I'd be at school from 9 in the morning until 8:30 at night taking notes and watching Netflix during my offtime. I passed last semester with a 3.5 GPA and I couldn't be happier.

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Can you stretch to getting a Macbook Air?

Maybe a but more useful for doing your coursework on.

12. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for a note taking app also. I just got my iPad this weekend and bought a targus stylus also.

I'm looking at Note+,UPad and Noteshelf. Basiclly just jotting down notes while in meetings. I'm not a big note taker but it would come in handy.

Any recomendations