Anybody use two cloud services for the same content as a backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kultschar, Apr 9, 2014.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Have always used Dropbox for my documents but recently signed up to Microsoft 365 hence now have one drive.

Would be handy to also use One Drive so I can use the new MS Office ipad apps when im on trips etc

I was thinking of putting my cloud folder on my devices being like this

Dropbox > One Drive > documents

Saving my files this way would update both at same time

Therefore I can have the same content on both clouds (no duplication) and not be restricted on iOS apps etc

Also see this as an extra backup

Does anybody else do this or see anything bad about doing this???

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I keep them separate, I was concerned about conflicts with two services updating files/folders at the same time. I also set up my work flow so that most of my stuff is on OneDrive and other non-current stuff on dropbox. Basically since my free dropbox is limited in size I use it less then my 45GB of OneDrive.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

While I understand that these cloud services do provide versioning... I tend to NOT think of them as backup. I think of them as syncing services instead.

I have a robust real backup plan in place... that backs up everything both locally and offsite.

For me... differentiating between backup and syncing keeps things straight in my mind.

/Jim

4. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I say backup I mean when I'm travelling (dont have to take my Time Machine). However I guess thinking about it, if the cloud goes down or has problems I will still have the copy on my HD hence the odds of my computer dying and the cloud failing is totally unlikely. Guess this prob answers my own question - both not necessary.

I guess stick with One Drive

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My iMac at home is left on 24/7, and contains 100% of my data. Hence, if I was to only backup my iMac... 100% of my data would be safe.

Any information that I need while remote is stored in dropbox... so if I update or create something on my MBA... dropbox will sync the data back to my iMac, and from there is gets double backed up. Hence, I really do not need to back up my MBA even when I am on extensive travel... because my data is constantly being synced up to my iMac which is double backed up by itself.

This is part of what I was saying about differentiation of "sync" vs "backup".

/Jim

6. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah good point!!! I actually leave my iMac on 24/7 also as it is used as a ATV server, when I'm away on business I leave the wife and kids at home hence its still left on.

I guess I'm set without worrying about it!!

Thanks for the helpful insight Jim