Anybody used the FreeAgent Desk 1.5T External Drive (user experience please)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 13, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I bought this Seagate drive to back up very important data of my Mac and PC. On the box, it does not say that the drive is compatible with the Mac. However, the sales told me that if I use the Mac disk utility to reformat the drive, the drive would be compatible with the Mac. I just found from the internet that it is not compatible with 64-bit Vista. In addition, there are lots of poor reviews on this drive in Amazon and NewEggs. Most drives are DOA, failed in 2-3 days or 2 months. Anybody used this drive with the Mac? Is this drive really defective by design? After I read all the poor reviews, I am hestitated to open the box.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing. I need an extra external to backup my drobo (just in case), and I notice that Fry's has this one on sale right now for $119 (cheaper than the internal drive). However, I have read of a lot of problem using this with a Mac (Seagate advertises for PC only on this drive) and I have also read about many units coming DOA or dying within a few days. Does anybody have experience with this particular external (NOT the Freeagent Pro for Mac).

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Seagates are good drives. I'm using 2 1.5TB's on my mini server running 24/7.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

2 of the same externals (Freeagent Pro, USB only)?

5. danny_w macrumors 601

After searching the internet for a little while I am going to give this (and all other Seagate drives) a pass for now. There are just far too many reports of freezing, dropped connections, etc. with this drive, still unresolved for many people as of today. Whatever happened, Seagate used to be such a reliable drive company? I notice now that they have even dropped their 5-year warranty in favor of a shorter 3-year warranty.

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have this drive on my Mac. Thus far (knock on wood) it's been no problem. I hear the occasional click from it, like it's spun down and is now starting back up, but no problems. I use it as a backup destination for my server using Retrospect to do a nightly backup.

I look at it this way: every hard drive is eventually going to fail so I typically buy drives with the longest warranty. This one came with a 5 year warranty.