Anybody using ArcMap on an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by B.A.T, May 15, 2014.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502

At my new job I have the option of buying a new iMac or a new PC. I have used ArcMap on a PC in the past but I prefer to use a Mac. Does anybody have experience using ArcMap through Parallels? If so let me know what you think.

Also, I've heard Parallels can hog up ram but does it perform just as fast if the Mac has enough ram?

I5 or I7?

Thanks.

2. macnjack macrumors member

I experienced mixed results, usable but not great, with ArcGIS and Parallels 8 on my 2011 iMac. VM installed on internal 2nd hdd, Windows 7 with 4 GB RAM and 2 cores.

Project sizes were 50-400MB. Arc's UI would behave slow at times but processing time for data and draw seemed ok.

Parallels has always made the computer slightly less responsive and jittery in places. This includes Parallels 9 although i have no experience with Arc and 9.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Through Boot Camp it'll operate at native speeds and with a silky smooth experience.

4. macnjack macrumors member

I concur. OP specifically asked about Parallels so i left my reply in context to his question.

I did have a few installation issues through the VM with Arc, but I do not recall exactly what they were...might have been related the Student License I was using.

5. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502