Anybody using iMac without glass?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Senji, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Senji macrumors newbie

I thought I won't buy a new iMac, because of the glossy glassdisplay. And, yes, I took a look at the imac at a gravis-store. I have seen it in real life and I don't like it.

BUT: As I have read, it is easy to remove the glass, so my question is: Has anybody already done this and is working now with a glassless imac? What are your impressions? Do you see any drawbacks (apart from fact, that it will look a little bit nerdy;)

Thnx

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That seems like a poorer solution than something like this.

Anyone tried it?

3. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I don't know about those sprays, but it does say that it is easily removable so its probably worth a try. I would like to know if one of those stick on screen protectors would work well.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, I don't want to be the first one to try it, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has!

5. Senji thread starter macrumors newbie

Attachment of foils is a new thread, sorry.

I asked for anybody w. experiences after removing the glass.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Throwing another layer of material between your eyes and the screen is not a better solution.

Assuming that the glass is just a piece of glass over the LCD it should world alright. You should also be able to pop off the glass panel and whip up a matte black border to pop in using the existing magnets to hold it in place. That would take care of the "nerdy looking" factor. I expect that this will become a good 3rd party accessory market in the next couple months. If no one beats me to it, I might try it out when I get my new iMac.

7. kabunaru Guest

Is it safe to leave the aluminium iMac without the glass panel for a long period of time?

If so, I would consider removing the glass panel.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I read it depends on the model size. One size uses glossy and the other size uses matte. Unfortunately, I've forgotten which is which for 20" and 24".

I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The 24" is definitely glossy.

It also looks ugly with the glass off

[​IMG]

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That defiantly looks bad without the glass or a frame around it. I'd be afraid to leave the glass off and have something get in one of the slots.

12. hippo206 macrumors 6502

there was a guy that did a whole write up on this, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Iirc he even made some kind of border so that it wouldn't look so bad. This was about 6 months ago.

13. kabunaru Guest

All that is needed to solve this is a black frame (without the glass).

14. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Agreed it doesn't look as slick without the glass. But if it meets your goals and it's what your looking for - knock yourself out. There are a few demo's on youtube - here's a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFh8JJs4EzM

and it is one lame video, my gosh that kid needs another hobby....

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It seems sort of pointless to me if the screen underneath is glossy as well... :confused:
    It would only help the glare to an extent, not really eliminate a significant amount.

16. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hmmm, I reckon a glass cutter can trim the glass leaving just the black bezel. Someone should try it. Not me though. :p

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Erm, couldn't you just put it somewhere that doesn't receive direct sunlight. I really don't notice a glare on mine that often. The colors are so detailed and brilliant that it takes shining a light directly at the screen to notice something major.

18. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I'd much rather buy my own glass/plastic or even alu to cut to shape than risk that.

19. kabunaru Guest

The colours are over-saturated then and less accurate because of dual glossy displays (one underneath and the glass planel).

20. nick9191 macrumors 68040

How can clear non treated glass over saturate colour, but a treated matte display is true to colour?

The screen does nothing to the colour, a matte display on the other hand, disperses light that comes through it and dulls it. If colours look more vibrant on a glossy display, then its because matte screwed them up to begin with.

As for glare, glare comes about because of light in the room. A professional must make sure no light hits the display, be it matte or glossy. In the correct situation, there is zero glare or eye strain.

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Sorry to drag up an old post but im going to try this today. I have a 20 inch late 2007 iMac and when i took the glass front off the display is much improved in my opinion. Much of the mirror effect is removed and while i know it isn't matte it does look much more like a matte screen. All i need now is a glass cutter so i can keep the black frame in place which i shall be picking up after work.

22. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

very cool. Keep us updated, with pics too;)

23. cube macrumors G5

There are colored plastic frames for the iMac. I don't know how well they would fit with the glass removed, though.

They are on sale for 10 bucks.

24. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

25. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Ok i have the glass cutter and am preparing to cut the glass front. Just an extra note there is a slight dark tint on the glass as well which i don't care for. Will post later once i have completed the cutting

For me its hard to use in daytime as no matter where i position the display i can see myself. I can counter this by turning up the brightness but this gives me eyestrain if i use it for too long.