Anybody using printer over wifi w/ Asus router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phositadc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. phositadc macrumors 6502

I need to upgrade my wifi router. Currently have a 4 year old Time Capsule. Looking at either the 802.11ac Airport Express or the Asus RT-AC68U (really wish the Airport Express had a USB 3.0 port--would make the decision much easier).

Anyways, just wondering if anybody on here has that Asus or a similar one and has successfully setup wireless printing with OS X? I've been searching for an hour or two and haven't found much, but most of what I have found seems to suggest there will be issues. Would love to hear from anybody who has attempted to do wireless printing over the Asus. Thanks.

2. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

I havent use the asus or time capsule

What I have been using for past year is epson printer (usb old school printer) via
    3rd gen airport extreme ...a little programme called guitenprint which replaces the epsoms drivers and 'allows' wifi printing:D

"handyprint" iphone -excellent for remote scanning/printing to the Espon

Though my printer was purchased 2009 -the wirless printers are almost standard now.....do you really need to upgrade your router?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

First of all, only the AirPort Extreme is 802.11ac. I wanted to make you aware so you don't get the wrong equipment. Wireless printing will work fine with either whether it is a wirelessly connected printer or USB connected printer to the router.

Either way you go, you are getting a great router. Personally I am more of an AirPort guy, but I respect everyone's decisions on hardware. As a side note on the USB 3.0 port, it shouldn't be a determining factor. A good majority of the time, the CPU in the router is too slow to max out even a USB 2.0 connection.

4. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response. Good to know about USB speeds. And yeah, I did mean extreme. Typed express by mistake!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I will give you my testimony of Apple gear on AirPorts. I run a large nine AP network in a school which serves anywhere from 70-90 concurrent clients. I have eight Expresses (2nd gen) hooked to a 5th gen Extreme. Aside from a bug in 7.6.4 that caused the Extreme to crash with our specific modem config (rolled back to 7.6.1 and it is rock solid), and having to adjust one Express in the ceiling for better placement (my fault not Apple's), we have had no issues.

In fact, we get better performance than many of the other players in the market! Granted, we use AirPort Utility 5.6 and 6.3, we have no issues with the feature set either. At home we have a 6th gen Extreme hooked to some Ubee modem. Works great and gives full speed and never needs to be rebooted.

In the 7.7.1 firmware it would occasionally blip for a few seconds on WAN connectivity to the modem, but Apple pushed a fix in 7.7.2. Now I am telling you my experience to give you an idea of the reliability. Much better than a totally unsecure file sharing system that ASUS uses. See the post here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2086...ives-connected-to-asus-routers-wide-open.html