Anybody whose phone is suddenly filled with "Other" click here!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrat93, Mar 15, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Yesterday, my phone was suddenly filled to capacity out of nowhere. I was unable to take pictures and it would give me a warning every few minutes or so. In iTunes, it showed that I had about 5GB of "Other." If you are having this problem, CLICK HERE.

It turns out that it has something to do with a log file in Rock. It looks like you just need to delete that file, and disable Rock extensions. Hope this helps!

2. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

omg thank you!!! I've been looking everywhere and finally came across this! I was already freaking out and thought that I might have to restore it, losing my jailbreak.

3. Stu-Pid macrumors newbie

And massive thanks from me as well. Tried a few things and then finally came across this thread just as I was fearing the worst.

My 'other' size was 8.4GB! :eek:

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Thanks mrat93

didn't get this error till tonight I just cleared out 22GB thanks to Rock wow and I was starting to like Rock! that's crazy. thanks again!

5. trajen macrumors 6502a

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, didnt know Rock eat up your storage like that.....

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Now for some reason

Phone is lagging, apps crashing can't download from iTunes. Really frustating rock defently blows.

8. The General macrumors 601

not surprised at all. this is why real people use cydia.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, I was never tempted even once to "jump on the Rock bandwagon" and now I know why !

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Funny thing

Only used Rock about 20% Cydia the rest. Rock will be gone tonight.

11. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Rock did an update to "fix" this issue, blaming it on a mistake by one of the apt's. After the update I still had over 2gb in that log file. Once I deleted the file and rebooted it was regenerated at a reasonable size and appears to be staying small.

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

No luck. My log file was extremely small, I still have 3 GB of other. WTF.

13. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

I went the other route, restored, updated to 3.1.3 and leaving it native.

I used Blackra!n and only used a few JB apps, GV Mobile being primary. With the new web app, GV Mobile was not as critical.

My complaints about JB:

1. Battery life stunk. I would go to 20% by the end of the day with minimal use.
    2. Dropped signals. In my basement/office, signal is 1-2 bars and would go to 'searching...' status more often than native iPhone (likely contributing to #1).
    3. Complexity. JB requires a lot of attention to details... I was ok with that for a while, but grew tired of it with time.
    4. Performance. This Rock bug only struck when I installed the 3.1.3 fake app, and couldn't launch Cydia or Rock, got disk full warnings, and clock was off by 6 hours. For the better part of a day, I struggled with above issues, and elected to restore to native rather than fuss with it any longer.

While the JB community has a number of good apps, my 6 month experiment taught me that the JB community it good for one thing, being a trial/error group for good ideas that Apple should work into their next release. I look forward to multitasking, themes and other ideas in future iPhone OS releases.

14. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Thanks.

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal