Anybody win the lottery but if you did....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

talking about the lottery at work. A coworkers girlfriend won the semi final nj second chance sweepstakes and has a 1/400 chance of winning a million. Wondering if anyone here won anything of note in the lottery or other sweepstakes. The most I’ve won was $500 on a scratch off for myself and shared $600 at work on a pool. So nothing of note here!

2. Ashton Cofer macrumors member

The most I've ever won was an Elgado Game Capture Card from a twitch giveaway. I had no use for it so I sold it on eBay for about $150.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I won three dollars once. I demanded a check....with two signatures.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

No, but I've won a few thousand on a scratcher. I usually win those. Luck I guess. Generally don't gamble outside of the rare scratcher.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I’ve gotten checks for a few bucks a bunch of times. Whenever I go on a road trip, I always buy that states pick five and six and play the same numbers for a month or two straight. Since I’m not driving back there if I only win a few bucks, I have to mail in the winning tickets.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I won the lottery when Mrs AFB became Mrs AFB! 20 odd years ago.

7. Mars56 Suspended

With online shopping being a very popular alternative these days, would you reconsider?

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Not at all.

9. Scepticalscribe, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My dad did one year at work; it helped fund his foreign holiday with my mum that year.

A quarter of a century ago, I won an impressive crate of serious wine in a generous Christmas draw run by a local delicatessen; at the time, - 1992 - it was worth around £300-400. I was stunned to win first prize - I had thought (or hoped) that I might win one of the smaller prizes.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive won a Xmas Hamper.

Oh and a football when I was at school lol

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'd settle for a lifetime supply of 50 bottles a month of Riesling from any of my favorite wineries.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I have a lifetime supply of wine in the house.
    None!

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I am rather partial to Riesling, myself.

Wouldn't turn down your wish, either.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life. Probably never will. I think its disgraceful how the lotto takes advantage of the poor and uneducated.

I've won some random lottery things at work- usually tickets to a Boston sporting event, gift certificates, etc.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I used to buy a $20 lottery ticket now and then, usually when I was daydreaming about how to fund something like another $2000 worth of what ended up instead being sweat equity in my old house lol. Eventually I did the simple math (forget the odds) and realized that just 10 of those tix would fund $200 of avoided sweat so what was I thinking?!

One of my younger bros happened to win (honestly) a doorprize at the opening of a bank branch once, back in the day when they didn't even screen out relatives of employees. It was a bank that employed my granddad, who took the bro along to see the new branch open and to enjoy the general merriment.

Granddad absentmindly took a ticket for himself and one for the little bro at the door as the tix were being handed out by some employee who didn't recognize him, and he handed the stubs both to my brother for safekeeping.

All he could think later at the doorprize drawing time was that at least my bro held the both tickets so it wasn't him ending up the winner of a doorprize at his own bank.

Anyway the door prize was.. yah, a live collie puppy. My Dad was not pleased. But, too late!, the furry warm ball of energy had already been embraced and so that was that, the pup was ours.

That same bro once hit 2nd in a NYS lottery. It was enough to pay for new drywells in my side yard. Generous man, the bro!

16. kazmac, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I won $500 on a scratcher and $50-200 on them more recently.

Last week I won $23 on one of those choose the numbers games (3 out of 5). Funny thing was, I knew if I played played one of those games at this particular retailer I would win. I did.

I play occasionally.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

First time to vegas a few years ago... won $50 at the penny slots. That was my first and last time ever playing slots. Funded my wife/mother in law’s slots fun for less than an hour. :p

Not a fan of lotto tickets. I can think of better ways to waste $.

18. Lioness~, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

I won at Lotto once, came very handy. I was ok with ~$10K at the time :)
    Mom was insanely lucky at various ways of winning things. Wish I inherited all of her luck.

19. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Think the most I've won is about $20.

At high school, a science teacher won $800,000. This was around 1994 - later the same year, a student at the same school won $600,000. She was 18 when she won, so legally able to claim it.

That's as close as I've got!

20. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Nope.

I can't even win the MacRumors give aways :).

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

At least you can enter! In the UK we are not!

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

True but, like me, I doubt you would ever win :).

23. trillionaire macrumors member

trillionaire

Nothing major, just around $250. Though to this day I remember the excitement as I sat at my computer checking the numbers and the first 4 matched. I was starting to perspire at that point, but then the 5th and 6th didn't match and that was the end of it. For a second there I was planning my new life, which felt really nice.

You should do a follow-up; "what would you do if you won the lottery?"

24. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

But if you did.....what would u do?

Of course depends on how much. I would love to just hit the pick five and pay off the second mortgage and credit cards. Any more goes to first mortgage. Maybe a little into the kids college funds.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Travel. Photography. Shop.