Anybody With A "C" 2.13 SSD Getting A New Air And Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bowlerman625, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020


    Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    I've had my 2.13Ghz, 128SSD Air for about 1 year. I'm very happy with it but I'm trying to build a case to buy the new 13" model. I don't run Windows on my MBA, have used approximately 30GB of the hard drive and am not really a power user. As much as I'd like (and would pay for) 4 GB of RAM, I just wonder if that's overkill for my needs?

    I'd sell my existing MBA after buying new but know I'd take a hit based on what I paid a year ago. My current MBA is quick with the SSD and boots up in about 25 seconds and shuts down in 4 or 5. Applications open up very quick too. There is always this desire to have the latest and greatest but I'm wondering if I would see a real benefit in getting the new 13" model (2.13Ghz, 4GM Ram, 256GB SSD) or is this just considered a "wash" on some parts of it and maybe even a downgrade on other parts?

    Feel free to comment, if you wouldn't mind and I'd love to hear from people in a similar situation like me. Thanks!
  2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2009
    Just an FYI, the Newer air uses flash memory, which is slower than a ssd
  3. altecXP macrumors 65816

    Aug 3, 2009
    No its not what do you think an SSD is? DING! Flash memory.
  4. justin216 macrumors 6502


    Mar 31, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    You do realize than a traditional SSD is just a casing around..flash memory.

    From the benchmarks floating around so far, it appears the new MBA's flash storage is faster than many SSD drives, including some of the speedy Intels.
  5. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
  6. sparkie7 macrumors 68010


    Oct 17, 2008
    Doesn't sound like you need to up-trade

    There is nothing that your Rev C ain't capable of doing from what you say. Unless you just want to mentally bash yourself up to want one.

    I'd keep using your Rev C for another year then get the Rev E when  releases it, in a year or two
  7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2008
    Downtown San Diego
    Um, an SSD uses flash memory (NAND) so this statement makes no sense. The new Air essentially has an SSD without the form factor - IOW parallel NAND chips and a controller on a card. Someone posted some benchmarks on the 11.6" and it's scorching, not top of the current class but probably the fastest drive performance on a factory specced Apple yet.
  8. Moodikar macrumors regular

    Mar 4, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I had a 2.13 but I wanted a 11.6inch footprint.

    For you, I think it's a matter of what you rather have? Newer specs and/or smaller size or save and be satisfied to hold till next year?!

    The MBA is not drastically better and if you had no concerns with the 2.13, then you might as well wait. It'll be probably between mar-June before the next air refresh and honestly that will have better stuff (perhaps sandy bridge and backlit keyboard etc).

    If you are satisfied to wait, do so.

    Another option is to sell your air via eBay or Kijiji or Craigslist. If it sells for the money you want, it may hep justify the upgrade.

    Just a thought...
  9. alpinadvl macrumors regular

    Jan 24, 2008
    Going to cancel my order....

    I ordered a fully decked out 13.3 MBA at 12noon PST....

    and ..I am now reconsidering the purchase.... and will probably cancel tomorrow.

    I currently have a 2.13 MBA with 128SSD , 2gb.....

    the reason for the reconsideration is the following :

    1. No Backlit Keyboard

    2. Not as elegant as the current MBA (in terms of hiding all ports) for a clean look.

    3. No GSM/EVDO connectivity option (not a deal breaker) - but, if they were convinced enough to come out with an 11" MBA... I wouldn't be too surprised if this is in the works... especially with Verizon (CDMA) and AT&T announcing they will both be selling the iPad.

    4. Apple has made a clear indication that they are moving to a streaming and (more and more) "cloud based" ideology.... the next logical step would be making a Macbook PRO without an optical drive.... it's only logical.... to fit in with their AppleTV, iPad, iPhone, and wireless / Airplay connectivity.

    5. No case-machined "Power" button.... silly i know, but having a "power" keyboard button is so.... non-apple.

    6. No sleep indicator light (not a big deal)

    7. No infra-red (not a big deal....maybe this will be a "Pro" version)... or, this might just be supplanted by wifi controller (via Apple "Remote" App)

    8. No USB 3.0 --> not really a big deal for me... but Apple has always been on the frontlines of "good" technology... it is hard to deny the advantage of USB 3.0 (however, I wonder what that would require in terms of space sacrifice in the MBA).


    there is nothing "spectacular" for me...except the 4gb upgradeability, the all Flash system... and a nicer looking display.

    personally, in pictures.... the wedge shape looks weird... and has no "flair" to it.

    Also, I believe if you are connecting this to an apple cinema display (especially) if you have an 11" model - it will be a very awkward connection.. but the 13" should fair the same as the outgoing current model. I only mention this... because it was one of my simple "design gripes" - and I was surprised they didn't make the connectivity more "apple-like"


    I'm canceling my order for sure.
  10. sparkie7 macrumors 68010


    Oct 17, 2008

    How is the 13" diff to the 11?
  11. alpinadvl macrumors regular

    Jan 24, 2008
    1. CURRENT 11" MBA :

    see the below picture with an 11" MBA connected to the Cinema Display cables (from Ars Technica) :


    2. MACBOOK PRO's :




    but ...basically --> power attaches on the left,
    and display port and usb ---> attaches on the right

Share This Page