Anybody with a how to for music streaming?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Aspirefly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Aspirefly macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro, iPod touch, a computer running ubuntu, and a stereo. How can I get my music on the stereo, without directly plugging the Macbook or the iPod into the stereo? I've scoured the internet but have found nothing on the subject that actually WORKS. I'm pretty good in mac os x and linux so difficult instructions won't be a problem.

I also have a Powermac G4 running panther.

I'm new here so if I posted in the wrong place someone feel free to move it.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

3. andgeo macrumors newbie

Will airport express connect wirelessly to a non-AEBS wife router?

Hi! I am new to this forum and this is my first post!

My purpose is to stream itunes to a sound system.
    I am considering buying an airport express + Harman Gardon Soundsticks.

I would have the AE connect to our house's wifi (an old D-link router) and then connect the Harman Gardon to the AE with a minijack cable.

Our itunes collection resides on a DNS323 Nas. I intent to feed the itunes collection to an old laptop which will work as an itunes server (if this phrase is even valid... My purpose would be to have the itunes software running on the old laptop - which would be always on - and stream music from the old laptop to the AE). My iphone/ipad would then be used as a remote controller using the remote app.

So here are my three questions:

1. How does this setup sound to you? Any recommendations? Any ideas on how to simplify the setup?

2. Will the AE connect to the wifi served by the Dlink wifi router, or should I instead replace our Dlink router with another router? (an AEBS would be awesome but is out of budget currently. Any other cheaper compatible wifi routers I should consider in place of the old Dlink?)

3. And finally, If I ever buy an apple TV (which I intent to, in the near-future), would I be able to stream a movie onto the apple TV and stream its sound to the Herman Kardon using the setup described above? The Herman Kardon will likely be somewhat away from the apple TV, so connecting with cables would be rather messy, and I cannot afford a second set of speakers... I would like the Herman Kardon to be the only set of speakers in the house: to stream music on it, or stream movie sounds...

Thank you! Much appreciated!
    Andreas