Anybody with dual SSDs here?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Nov 6, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

early-2011 MBP 13...thinking of eventually pulling the trigger on an 830 for the main bay, then moving my 470 to the optical bay. I don't intend to stripe or mirror them. For those of you guys using two SSDs in a similar manner, do you notice the boot time is worse? Would the second SSD automatically boot with the main one and compromise boot performance?

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I'd say it wouldnt hurt it.
    But I dont want to buy expensive SSDs that has 500GB space so I would just go with the HDD & SSD option with optibay.

If 1TB SSD becomes affordable, I might think of it.

But again, it shouldnt be slower than the HDD & SSD option.
    2 SSD should be blazing fast.

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know for sure it would be in a Raid 0 setup, but I won't have that. I'll have two 128GB SSDs, which would be fine for me since my storage demands are quite modest. I'm only really tempted to do this b/c I have this issue with not taking full advantage of the SATA III connection even though the 470 is solid.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

SSDs in RAID doesn't offer much of an advantage and it can actually result in poor performance.

(This assumes non enterprise SSDs and a controller not tuned for SSDs).

5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm not gonna bother with a RAID configuration. RAID 0 is also risky, it essentially increases your chances of losing all your information two fold.

I'm just wondering how the performance would be with another SSD running in the background -- presumably it will sleep a lot when not in use? When I boot up my computer I always hear the Optical Drive engage, but it doesn't really do much during normal use unless you throw a CD in there.