anybody with sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paulshaqz, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i had sprint 4 years ago but once the iPhone came out i gave it up so with all the news today for iPhone possibly going to sprint made me consider probably moving back if the plans are cheeper, anyways my question is has sprint service got any better?

2. blunti macrumors 6502a

i was wondering about this as well. after looking at their family plans I just dont find them more appealing than at&t. we currently have unlimited data on our iphones and comparing the prices they seem identical

3. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

i agree with that my iPhone 4 with att great besides there service most places work fine but in certain areas still do suck but if reception issues increase for better i probably would still just stick with att.

4. blunti macrumors 6502a

I double checked their plans and here is my conclusion:

if you opt for the cheapest family plan, you will not be able to add data and smartphones to it. bummer

if you go with a plan that has the option to add data, you will be looking at around 180+taxes and surcharges. You get unlimited minutes to ANY domestic carrier and 1500 minutes for calling Sprint numbers. (to me this just does't seem logical)

Im paying around 150 now for unlimited data, text and unlimited att to att minutes. Only have around 550 or so (500?) minutes / month but since almost everyone we call uses att, we have loads of rollover minutes...

wall of text but I hope this helps:)

5. sbddude macrumors 6502a

6. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

How many lines do you have?

The 1500 mins are for calling landlines if needed. It's unlimited to any domestic cell carrier, even Sprint.

7. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is pretty weak i'm on a family plan and its at around $180 for 2 iPhones, 1400 mins unlimited nights n weekends and just my line that has umlimited text plus never used rollover mins and that's including my grandfather data... So my guess would be its possible sprint might have a special iPhone plan but as far as now it looks like I'm staying thanks for the research.

8. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Sprint's service is pretty good. You would hope they're going to roll out something to coincide with the iP5 release. The knock on Sprint has been that they don't have smartphone friendly plans.

9. AnthroMatt, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I left Sprint for AT&T in April. Sprint just didn't work at my house. That is a specific issue though, and can happen with any carrier. I had been dealing with it because they offered much more for the same price as everyone else.

However, at the time I left Sprint, their 3G data speeds were atrocious (56k modem speeds) in many places around Phoenix. If you go to sprintusers.com, you will see similar reports from around the country.

Likewise, there are other places where Sprint seems to have decent backhaul and no data issues (SoCal, Chicago).

One thing I hated about Sprint was that if one phone needed data and you were on a family plan, all your lines had to have data. With 4 lines on my account, I only needed it on 2 of them, but was paying for it on all 4. I rationalized it by saying that even paying for all that, it was the same price as AT&T and a few bucks less than Verizon, and Sprint gives you free GPS nav too.

But, with the service degradation and Sprint's new imposition of the $10/line smartphone "fee", I decided to switch and have been much happier with AT&T. I get half the minutes, no free NAV, and no more data on two lines for $5 less that what I was paying to Sprint (so I lost a lot of features to save almost nothing), but for me the service works better.

I suggest using the 30 day trial and then porting a number later if you are thinking of switching.

10. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Uh, What? 10 bucks per line for a smart phone "fee"?? F that. I was considering moving to sprint because the hubby gets a pretty fat discount with them, but that extra 10 bucks would negate most of the advantage.

Right now I'm paying ATT about 70 bucks (with a discount and including taxes) and the equivalent plan on Sprint would be about 56 bucks, adding in the fee and then taxes would be about another 20! And no rollover! Forget it.

11. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Assuming no plan changes if Sprint gets the iPhone, with Sprint a plan with 2 iPhones would be 1500 minutes, unlimited calling to any mobile phone in the US, unlimited text and unlimited data on both lines, and nights & weekends starting at 7pm for $150. ($129.99 + $10/smartphone fee X 2).

So all you would lose is rollover, but you would save $30/mo and have unlimited text and data on both your lines.

Sprint is a great deal if you want data on all your lines of service. Sprint is nothing special if you have a single-line plan or if you have multiple lines with different needs (want 4 lines, only 1 needs data...with Sprint all 4 have to have it).

12. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I wonder if they will allow SERO-P customers access to the iPhone.

13. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Saving $30 bucks a month would be one of the main reasons to switch and as long as it I get good reception.

14. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Service is going to be subjective based on where you live, but in general, Sprint has improved over the years in my opinion. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years.

15. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I would agree that Sprint as a whole has improved (customer service, coverage, plans, etc.), but one of the reasons I left was because I htink their data network is severely overcrowded...and this is with no iPhone.

I took this screenshot on my Samsung Epic in a parking lot across the street from a Sprint tower (hence the strong signal). This was the norm, not the exception in the last few months I was with them.

The speeds are in kbps.

Attached Files:

16. katmanblu macrumors newbie

I pay roughly around $185 for 4 phones with Sprint (2 Evos and 2 Blackberrys). 1500 anytime min, free m2m (anytime/any network), unlim data and text. Never had any dropped calls with Evos and very few on the Blackberry. I feel some poor signal service is due to the phone. Went through several BB with sig problems before getting the ones the kids use now.

17. echo2011 macrumors regular

We gave Sprint a try, 4 devices on the unlimited data and messaging, after a couple weeks we moved on to Verizon due to very weak signals just about everywhere we frequent, including home. They have a great money back guarantee, if you're not satisfied within 30 days you get a FULL refund, which is what happened with us...took a couple billing cycles to go through, but we were not charged a dime for anything.

18. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

been a Sprint user for a long time and so has my family. Me and my fiancee recently left because the network went to ****. Look at sprintusers.com to see all the ppl that are complaining. Sprint use to work great for me and my data speeds use to be 1.85Mbps. A few months after the Evo released the network became crap for a lot of ppl. I started getting dropped calls my internet speeds dropped down to .30-.50Mbps and I started getting SMS late. I gave up on them and went to Verizon and don't regret it one bit. Hell I thought I would never go to Verizon because it cost so much, but after Sprint added the $10 add on to each smartphone I wasn't saving much money. I have a kid and I need to be able to get my phone calls if something bad happens. My family members are still having problems and they live in other cities. Once the iphone gets released on Sprints network data speeds will be lower then what I was getting before I left.

19. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I use their mobile broadband 4G service, and unfortunately I can tell you that often the 4G network goes down and you are stuck with 3G. The network also slows to a crawl during peak hours. So I would agree that their data network can definitely suffer from becoming overcrowded.