Anybody's macbook pro noisy after installing leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majorp, Oct 27, 2007.

1. majorp macrumors 6502

I don't know why but since installing Leopard my 2.33ghz MBP it seems to be a lot heavier on the fans. Before I could sleep comfortably with my MBP on but now I really notice the fans whirring almost to the point that it keeps me awake.

Am I the only one with this problem?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Seems to be an issue in the iMac as well.

I guess Apple wants a cooler machine?

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

both fans are still at 2000 RPM for me, no idea what you guys are talking about

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

mine is extremely quiet.. i've noticed no difference between tiger and leopard... on bootcamp xp pro the fans can get noisy while gaming though

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

My fans were crankin' for about fifteen minutes after installing Leopard. The processor was running at about 70-75 Celsius. Since then I'm back in my normal computing patterns and I have noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Temps and fan speeds seem the same when I computed under Tiger.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats because spotlight was re-indexing your computer, its normal after an install

7. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Have upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on Santa Rosa MBP 2.2, no excess noise, all is quiet for me

8. zorrent macrumors newbie

my fan wil not shut down in

it has been whirring away ever since I installed Leopard, it hasn´t shut down once yet. Hardly noticed before...
    :confused:

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you checked to see if there's a process using lots of CPU?

10. Zawamura macrumors regular

Mine has gotten like 5-6degrees warmer since I installed Leopard, but I installed smcFanControl and increased the lowest speed of the fans to 3300rpm, so now It's ok again :)

11. Sic macrumors 6502

mine was really noisy for a few days, and the fans get a little over-zealous every now and again, but they seem to have calmed down a bit now - only problem I'm getting is erratic behaviour when awaking from sleep :(

12. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Im getting random fan changes atm./

44C usually = 2000-2500RPM fan speeds using Fan Control Software, now its 46C and 4280 :S increased all the way up to 6000 and slowly dropped back down..

Its weird. Leopard has broken something unless the eSATA card/USB 2 powered eSATA 2.5" is doing something it shouldn't.
    :confused:

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

For all of you who noticed immediate fan activity that then subsided after a while, it is Spotlight indexing your drive. And every time you plug a new external drive into it, it will index that as well.... which will make the fan turn on again.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

quick looking also seems to take up a lot of cpu, especially if its an avi you're trying to look at.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No noticeable difference on my C2D/X1600 MBP.