AnyDVD License Change - Buy or Mac Equivalent?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Val-kyrie, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

AnyDVD is changing "its update policy from free lifetime updates to an annual subscription fee. All license purchases made before January 1st, 2009 will not be affected by this change; as promised, all licenses purchased before 2009 will still be honoured under Slysoft's free lifetime update policy."

I have been considering ripping my legally owned DVDs to a HDD to watch on my TV and have debated on whether to buy AnyDVD or use something that is Mac native like Fairmount in conjunction with Toast 9 Titanium (which I own). I also run Win XP in Fusion on my MacBook, so the OS for SlySoft's software is not an issue.

I would rather try this for myself, but will probably not have time until after the deadline for the change in SlySoft's update policy. I have read quite a few posts here on the forums, and it seems the Mac software is fraught with problems, and I am not sure how well FairMount will do with future releases. Can anyone comment on FairMount with OS X? Does it have problems with some DVDs?

$100 is a lot for SlySoft's Software (AnyDVD HD and Clone DVD), but ease of use is a consideration. Thoughts?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Not to sound mean or anything but this is spam to come onto a board about Mac apps and explain how to do it in Windows. You would get flamed doing something like this on a Windows forum.

There is absolutely no need for Windows software to rip DVDs on a Mac. There have been many discussions about various OS X native (free) apps on this forum. Two of my favorites are MacTheRipper and HandBrake. HandBrake can handle ripping and encoding simultaneously.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Actually, there is. Seems you just don't know what you're talking about.

There's two rippers right now (handbrake is not a ripper).

MacTheRipper and RipIt. Both suck, aren't updated often enough, and can't handle newer DVDs. Yes, I am talking about MTR 3.0 "donationware betas". In fact, MTR seems to suck even more than RipIt.

I guess FairMount is a third alternative (while not quite a ripper) but personally it has been more trouble than it was worth for me. AnyDVD in Parallels is a terrific solution, however.

To the OP: I'd go ahead and purchase it since it seems there will never be a proper ripper for Macs. I bought AnyDVD without CloneDVD or the HD upgrade (I have DVD2OneX and have no interest in backing up my Blu-ray discs yet since BD media is so expensive). It works great in Parallels with a Pioneer 116 drive I put into an enclosure (hooked up via FireWire). Haven't had a single issue with AnyDVD and their support is unbeatable.

I'm considering purchasing the HD upgrade since I know at some point I'll want to make backups of my Blu-ray collection (albeit quite small right now) and would rather pay a one-time fee than an annual subscription.