Anymore word on the $100 drop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DJAKO, Mar 16, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get an iPod Touch and remember a month or so ago that rumors were in the air about a $100 price drop to the touches. Anyone else hear anything recent about this?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Apple wouldn't drop the price down to 200 (8gb model)

It just wouldnt make sense, and people wouldnt want to buy the ipod nano.

3. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I remember right they were going to get rid of the 8gb model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, I think that's what I remember reading.

Also...the nano and touch are for two different audiences. I bought the nano the day it came out and older models due to it's form factor. It's great for working out, putting on my arm when I'm running or biking. On the other hand, an iPod touch wouldn't work as well for people who exercise a lot. Sure it may work, but it's so damn big.

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I am going to guess there will be a 50$ price drop, not a $100 one. I have heard that costco already has the 16gb for $349.99.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

All the price drop talk is speculative. I don't think it will happen soon. The touch is still in, so why would they drop the price. If you look around a lot of retailers are having good deals on them.

6. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Yeah, im in the same boat. I was waiting for this mystical drop, but since it didnt happen i will just buy from Future Shop since its at 359.99 this week. Or i might take that price to best buy and they will beat it and give me 10% off.. i think i will do that :)

I dont care about the drop.. i have decided i want it, thats all there is to it 50$ wont kill me either way.

Just buy it, or wait until September.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'll add to the speculation about a $50 drop on the 8gb model. Last week Target was selling the 8gb model for regular price but with a $50 gift card. I believe this is an indication of Apple testing the waters to see if they will sell more at a lower price. Add the Costco $50 discount, and probably other temporary sales for something like $50 off, and a pattern becomes clear.

So the 8gb model stays in the loop, and they reduce it to $249.
    The 16gb model is lowered $75, to sell at $324.99
    The 32gb model is lowered $100, to sell at $399.

Just a theory. Given the ever dropping cost and greater capacities of static ram chips this only makes sense. Everyone else is working on or already selling touchscreen devices for less than Apple.

8. tobenning macrumors member

Not gonna happen anytime soon. Why do people think there will be a price drop, just because Apple had to change the pricing of the iPhone to keep the momentum going?

9. Viremia macrumors regular

I heard that if you wait a couple more weeks, Apple will be giving 64 GB iPod Touches away with free puppies and kittens for anyone who asks nicely. If you really ask nicely, they'll also throw in a free 8-core mac pro. That's the rumor that I've heard and it's gotta be true, doesn't it?

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Or does it? With the dollar sucking so much, even against the Yuan, this probably won't happen.

With the dollar sucking so much lately, I would be surprised to see a price drop any time soon. I can see the 16GB replacing the 8, and the 32GB to the 16GB on the product line, but I think that the prices will stay the same or maybe even possibly go up.

Imagine a day where the dollar sucks so much that every other country gets a price drop while the US does not. Wow, I think I'll pass on visiting the forum on that day.

Yeah, I heard the same thing from my friend's uncle. And he knows a guy whose father's ex-wife's roomate's dog's former owner used to work for a guy that now works at Apple and he has assured me that this is truth. Get ready for new puppies, iPods, and mac pros, people!

11. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

It was posted on iclarified that there will not be a "price-drop", but the 16GB model will be sold at $299 and so on. So the minimum price for a touch is $299 still.

Why September ?! Or you're just saying ?!!

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

That is a target deal and has nothing to do with apple. Why would apple drop the price? The touch is still relatively new.

13. dan99iel, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Retailers have to agree to honor Apple's MSRP. Apple does this to keep anyone for lowering the perceived value of their products by lowering the price. The way Apple can still test the waters is by telling retailers they'll give them a $50 check in exchange for a $50 gift card they give away with a purchased product.

The 1gb Shuffle was just lowered from $79 to $49 and the new 2gb Shuffle is supposed to be priced at $69. Why? You can get a 4gb Sansa Clip with screen for $80. Memory and other component prices come down. Other manufacturers start using them and selling competing products for less than Apple does. If you think Apple doesn't lower prices on anything but iPhones to make sure they sell their promised quota you're blind. AppleTV price also went down, even as the firmware was improved.

Believe it or not all Touches are very expensive toys. We own them because we could or were willing to go into debt for one, but many who would love one just can't afford one. $300 or $400 or $500 buys a month's rent, a month or two's groceries, Gas for a few months, and so on. There are also thousands of other things vying for our discretionary spending money. Price the Touch a little lower, and you'll convince a larger percentage of the population to buy one. If you're making them for less there is nothing to lose and million$ to gain.

Of course speculation is worthless. If and when they go down in price we'll know. Until then we're all right. They "might" is my say. I've watched consumer electronics drop in price for the same reasons for the last 30 years. Wanna bet?

15. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Citizen of i-bikinibottom, please give thinker a round of applause for those wise words.

16. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

This does not hold. Target is the only retailer offering a $50 gift card. At the same time Fry's is offering the 16g for $350. Best buy, walmart and other retailers are not offering any sort of discounts. Retailers are known to offer specials just to lure buyers into their stores.

17. wizard macrumors 68040

As long as Apple can maintain its margins the prices will come down.

I think that says it all it is a question of Apple being able to maintain margins. They can do that as long as the price of the major components continue to fall. In the case of the Touch Flash, chips and LCD displays have dropped dramatically, this give Apple room to be flexible with respect to pricing. We have seen as such with the Shuffle.

I think the big difference this time around is that the HDD based units will be stuck in the price range that they are now. So what I'm saying is that you can see adjustments coming to both the Touch and the Nano. Be for warned though that the adjustments might be in the way of storage increases. For example a 16 or 32 GB Nano, and a 64 GB Touch. Of course this means everything else gets moved down the line so I guess it is a price cut never the less.

The other thing to expect to keep sales momentum is feature tweaks. That is things like Bluetooth being added to the Touch or other modest tweaks that don't require a complete respin of the product. In other words little things that people want that Apple can advertise for as NEW to pull in shoppers.

Dave

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I dont think that happened in this case though. Of if it did then Target makes out well. Because any retailer who gives away a $50 gift card only pays $25 for that card to be redeemed. (Ie. If I use the $50 gift card for a PS2 game it only cost Target $25 for that game so it is a win win for Target and the consumer. that is why so many companies are giving away gift cards right now.

Also, When Target gives you a gift card with purchase- they don't care if you keep it or return it. However, if you don't return it they state on their receipt you will receive $50 less on the returned item. (ie. buy an iPod for $300 , get free $50 card. If you return the iPod only you get $250.) Target actually prefers you to keep the free gift card...because they know that $50 will be spent at target. It doesn't hurt the consumer but is a sneaky way to be sure you spend $50 more at Target!