Anyone 100% Happy with their iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Are you 100% Satisfied with your iPhone 3G?

1. Yes! No problems whatsoever!

83 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. No. I have some or all of the problems you listed.

24 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. I don't care what my iPhone looks like as long as it works.

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I gotta say, when I first got my iPhone 3G, I was extremely happy, but after having it for a few weeks, things are starting to bother me. I want to get it exchanged, but I'm afraid I'll just get one with other problems. Here's my story:

I bought the iPhone 3G at Best Buy and the next day I returned it because the screen had tiny horizontal lines in it when you moved the screen. The glass was also raised up on one edge and I couldn't push it back down. The lady failed to see anything I was talking about so I finally agreed to pay the $50 restocking fee to get another one.

The second iPhone still had the lines in it, but only mostly toward the top of the screen and they're not as bad as the first one (it's not my eyes, I swear. I have an iPod touch and have owned a previous gen iPhone). This new iPhone 3G seemed like I could live with it, but a few things have been bothering me about my replacement.

1. The volume rocker is sunken on one side (first iPhone 3G didn't have this problem) and it feels a tad bit harder to decrease the volume than it does to increase it.

2. Silent switch and Power switch are wiggly/loose. The first iPhone 3G didn't have this problem either. Both switches were solid feeling.

3. As I said before, the screen still has lines but, mostly at the top and not as noticeable as my first iPhone 3G, but it's still there and still bothers me.

4. There's light leaks in 3 spots going down the left side of the iPhone and you can even see where the rubber seal is a tad wavy.

5. The iPhone has started to crack in 3 places. 2 Cracks on the top right side coming out of the bezel and one crack on the top right corner. I've been taking extremely good care of this iPhone and have never dropped it. I always have it in my hip-case and I'm very carful how I use it. It annoys me that it cracks without rough-housing it.

Both iPhone 3Gs were white.

If I return it, I'm worried about a few things happening.

1. I'll get one with worse wavy lines on the screen
    2. I'll get one with negative black issues (like my first gen)
    3. I'll get one with the glass raised on one side like my first 3G
    4. I'll get one with some or all of the problems I currently have
    5. I'll get one that is perfect and then it will crack in a couple of weeks of normal/extra cautions use.

Seriously guys... what happened to Apple's high quality products. This iPhone is starting to feel like a stupid Wal-Mart toy instead of a luxury Apple product that supposedly costs $699 if you were to buy it without a contract.

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Can you ever be 100% happy with anything?
    Think about it. ;)

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes I can. I am 100% happy with my iPod touch! I must have hit the lottery with my iPod touch because there's nothing wrong with it! It still works like the day I got it. The only bad thing is that there is a little bit of dust under the screen, but for some reason, that does not bother me because the only time you can actually see the dust is under direct sunlight. Normally, it's like it's not there. Yes, I'm 100% happy with my iPod touch and I wish Apple put the same care into the iPhone as they do in the iPod touch. It's a week 38 iPod touch first gen by the way and I ordered it on the same day it was announced. For some reason, I thought the iPhone would be built with the same quality... guess not... unless I got extremely lucky with my iPod touch. I also loved my 3rd Gen iPod, my 5th Gen iPod and neither of those had any real problems except that I had to replace my 3rd Gen battery after a few years, but that's expected.

4. ColbyLSmith macrumors newbie

I have been watching the 3G since it debuted, and have been really fearful. With the light leak issues and especially the connection issues, although the connection seems to have cleared up. I really like the white, but I will be buying two since I am getting my fiance and myself one. So I am going with black if I choose to get it. The hardest part is leaving Verizon for AT&T. I love the service, because it works everywhere, the phones just suck.

Does anyone have any reassurance? I have yet to see anyone post on the internet that they love and are satisfied with their iPhone. Although every one I run into on the streets love them and have absolutely no complaints.

Anybody got an opinion on this situation?

Colb

5. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Im on my third phone, first one being replaced because of a broken silent switch, the second replaced because the screen was sunk past the bezel creating a very cheap feeling edge, the first 2 phones were brand new, this latest one is a refurb and i must say its way better than the 2 new ones i had. I stated this in another thread i would actually prefer refurbs based on my experience. Im guessing refurbs are done within the US, with higher quality control, whereas at the factory in china the QC is trash. My first 2 phones were cheaply assembled, as sad as it is, phone number 3 is the first where i have experienced a properly working silent switch. After working QC in a precision machine shop i can pick out shoddy half assed construction from something where care was taken.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

While my iPhone rarely lets me get through a session of surfing the internet without crashing, and while I had to exchange it once because the accelerometer way messed up, I am 100% satisfied with it.

Linking satisfaction with a flaw free product is the error in this poll. People's expectations of the phone are amazingly high. No one wants to think about the fact that they are pumping out millions and millions of these things. We hear, on this forum, about light leaks and dust under the screen and melting iPhones and so on and so forth because people come here as an outlet. Spend some time digging and you will find countless accounts created by people who run across the site in a google search, sign up to complain about something, and never come back. Keep that in mind when looking at these poll results.

7. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Hated all the defects returned it guess ill wait until apple learns about a new word QUALITY CONTROL.

8. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

9. vilasgn macrumors regular

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

None of the problems listed by the OP, I must be happy with my purchases...:p

11. JLatte macrumors 6502

I see nothing wrong with this... all of those threads that you posted are months old or have absolutely no replies.

That being said, I have a massive amount of browser crashing, app crashing, incredibly poor battery life (going from 100% to 10% charged in the span of the day WITHOUT wifi, using the internet or 3G). In addition I also have very flimsy silent/power buttons AND my silent button has gotten so weak that it might as well not even be a switch. Seriously, I put the phone in my pocket (gently) and the slightest touch switches it back on to ringer mode. Very annoying especially at my work meeting on Friday.

12. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

is there any way to have reading comprehension skills and see if its from a particular poster to just not bother with it??

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol 2 of them are less than a month old but whatever

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I wonder if I can ask for a refurb. Hmmm....

None of those even had a poll. I'm not asking if anyone is happy with their iPhone... I'm asking who is 100% happy with it... meaning... Nothing is bothering them about their iPhone. I just wish I had an iPhone with the same type of build quality as my iPod touch. :-(

15. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

well if you really want to break stones, the serial number for a new phone will start with a 7 or an 8, where a refurb will start with "5k" as the first two digits. This time around i took a good 15 minutes to completely look the phone over for any discrepancies, after all, i spent my money and i deserve a decent product, never in my long history with cellular devices have a ever had to complain about poor build quality, i dont see it as being anal but rather getting what i paid for

16. DaZe3 macrumors member

no, ill be happy when we get push notification service so i can be always connected to aim

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Do they give out refurbs after the 30 day period? If that's true, I should just wait until my 30 days is up before I return it.

18. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I feel about the same way. I have thought about selling my a few times for a crackberry. But I don't want to do it just yet. I just sold my mac to and will be making a move to ubuntu. So that might also play a part in how happy I am with it.

19. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I am happy with my iPhone and Touch, there are no problems with either. The iPhone has no cracks, light leaks, dust, the switches are fine, I get great reception, no dropped calls, and battery life has always been good.

20. sv650s macrumors newbie

I am satisfied with my current iPhone 3G. The only issue with my first phone was that the GPS didn't work most of the time. The only issue with the replacement phone that I currently have is that the glass is not perfectly flush on one spot, it is raised by maybe a millimeter... honestly I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for it being mentioned on the forum.
    Sure, there is always something that could be done to improve the phone. I''ll take an indestructible phone with infinite battery life that will run any program ever made and never crash. However, I have realistic expectations and do a lot of research before I buy something that I plan to use for a while, so I am satisfied with my iPhone.
    If all of the issues you mentioned are making you not enjoy your phone, just exchange it... worst case scenario, you aren't happy with the replacement and have to exchange it again. The turnaround time on my exchange was 2 days from the time I shipped it to when I received the replacement.

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

100% love my 3G.

It took a few before I got one that was trouble free, but the one I have now is perfect. That's the great thing I've found about Apple service- they weren't happy until I was happy and were more than willing to replace my 3G until I had one that was perfect.

You can't expect something produced on this scale (10 million 3G's sold already according to Leo Laporte) to not have some defective units. In the grand scheme of things, the number of complaints/defective units is very small. You can't really use a forum as empirical evidence I'm afraid.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

funny thing abut iphone problems

mine has them in the forms of cracks and such but time has made me not care

not to mention a case makes it out of sight out of mind lol

23. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

My family has 1 16 Gig 3G and 2 Ipod Touches and we are happy with all of them. No Safari Crashes, very few problems at all. I'm seriously considering adding another 3G to the mix in a couple of months.

Eric