Anyone a 15" Pro user and spring for the SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmstrong, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I'm curious. Was it worth the extra cash? How fast does it run over the standard HD? If you had to do it again? Would you still purchase a SSD?

And, one last one, if you purchase a HD now, can you have Apple put in a SSD at a later date?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can have Apple replace it with an SSD at a later date or you can do it yourself for a lot less money and time. Its actually designed to be changed.

If you want the best value for money get the 7200RPM HD however if your a spec freak or a professional video editor get the SSD otherwise you wont notice much difference.

3. semitry macrumors member

Yes it's worth it. The BEST upgrade I have made to my computer since a 3dfx card when they first came out. It's insane how much more responsive your computer is. The system and applications load up much much faster. I code so compile times are quick and testing isn't such a drag if I need to rebuild my project a lot of times. I also worry less about hard drive crashes too. Well worth it if you can afford one.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

What? you wont notice a difference? what kinda of ssd have you been messing with? Much Faster

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

its not insanely faster, ok so loading times are a bit quicker but its not as amazing as people hype them up to be, theyre not worth the money until they drop in price i think.

6. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

Have you ever used a SSD ? -.-' It's not a hype. They are definitely worth the price. I upgraded my MBP from 250GB magnetic HDD to 64GB SSD OCZ Core + External USB HDD and really, really satisfied with the result.