Anyone a post 5/27 purchaser who has exchanged for a 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HDiphone, Jul 14, 2008.

1. HDiphone macrumors newbie

Subject kinda says it. Anyone who purchased an iphone after 5/27 who's done the supposed 'free' exchange for a 3G? If so, how was it handled, any hassles? I'm hoping for the lines to die down this week and exchange my wife and I's phones for the 3G.

2. dubis07 macrumors member

A better idea is to not trade it in, but when you get the two 3G's, unlock your old ones and put them up on eBay. You'll make more money this way :cool:

3. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I don't think that it makes sense what you are saying. I paid $499 for my 16GB iPhone 1st gen. They claim that I can trade it in and get a $200 credit but pay a 10% restocking fee. So after all is said and done I get $150 back so my total price paid is $349.

If I keep my phone and can get the new 3G iPhone for $299 I have now paid $798. That means that to break even with the "free upgrade" I would have to get $450 more or less selling it on ebay. I don't see anyone paying that kind of money for a 1st gen iPhone.

Regardless, has anyone done the upgrade yet? I haven't been able to get to the store because they are still sold out and you are supposed to go to the same store you purchased at to do the return and upgrade.

4. dubis07 macrumors member

I bought my iPhone (8GB) back in December for $400 and sold it for $325 on eBay yesterday. You could probably do pretty well selling a 16GB one. With so many people from other carriers realizing they can't get the iPhone 3G on their plan (right now, at least), they are looking to eBay. I was watching a brand new 8GB that ended 3 minutes before mine and it went for $485...