Anyone a psychologist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cormier6083, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

:D I have this strange... thing. Whenever I listen to the song "Helena", I have these very strong images in my head of... OS X. I know, it's odd, but I swear it's true. Anyone have an idea what it might mean? Or am I just stupid or something.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV... :p

Seriously, auditory links are second only to olfactory in their ability to connect to the "old brain." It's the ancient survival relationships we needed in order to spread our seed, and although they may not be necessary in the modern world, they sure can be handy (ever smell smoke in the house? Immediate reaction, right?) How a particular association may be formed is not always obvious, but once it's there, it's got a good chance of remaining there for life.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And how does that make you feel?

I've got a degree for it but don't practice. It's quite bizarre some of the associations we can make sometimes. Rammstein and the original Command & Conquer go hand in hand for me.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If listening to "Helena" triggers images of OS X, and you don't yet own 10.5, isn't it fairly obvious? Leopard's calling on you to give it a Troy.

<ba-dum, ching> :D

6. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

What's the difference between psychiatrists and psychologists exactly? Isn't the first one the people that just listen to you complain about how much your life sucks? :rolleyes::D

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Key difference educationally speaking is that a psychiatrist is an M.D.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's all about the drugs, really. I don't know about other countries, but psychiatry is a post graduate degree one can do having already attained a medical degree. Psychiatry seems to be more focused on the individual person with respect to the biological and neurological aspects of the brain. A psychologist is more interested in human behaviour as a group and as a trend. Most importantly, a psychiatrist can administer drugs whereas a psychologist cannot. This really may be different in other countries though.

9. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

you're probably repressing homosexual feelings

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you recently stopped any medication?

Do your new vitamins lack Lithium?

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Did you listen to the song a lot while exploring OS X or using your computer?

I have a lot of songs that bring back memories

When ever I hear the song "Because You Love Me" it brings back an image of driving through the center Simsbury, CT in my mom's SAAB 9000 in like 1993 (I would be 3 years old).

"Mr. Roboto" by the Styx reminds me of playing the game Glider because I would listen to it while playing.

"We Go Together" (from greese) for some reason reminds me of going to the Beach in Rhode Island... and I don't know why

12. Cormier6083 thread starter macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Thanks for your help guys. Its odd how we associate things, eh?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah you're just stupid. ;)
    Well you asked!

I think your issue is silly but seeking medial advice online is also silly so combined silly cancels out and you're a-ok. I'm not a doctor but online it doesn't matter because people will take my advice anyway so long as I deliver it with a certain level of confidence.

14. 119576 Guest

I get that whenever I listen to Taproot (which isn't very often, admittedly). I used to listen to them years ago whilst playing a game called Well of Souls.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And we left this one alone. :D

I swear officer, she was giving out free medical advice ... and I was just trying to get her help with genital warts. :p