Anyone able to exchange their iPads at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NYY FaN, Mar 18, 2011.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

Since ipads are in such short supply, I was wondering if anyone was able to do an exchange if the one they bought had issues? I just got mine yesterday from an online order and it has several, very noticeable, dead pixels.. so I want to try and get another one. Were you able to get a replacement on the spot? I heard last year they put some ipads aside just for returns/exchanges.

2. JayDH macrumors 6502

Most Apple Stores have replacement units reserved in the back. I had an issue with my iPad 2 (purchased from Target) and they replaced it at the Apple Store with a brand new iPad that was reserved specifically for replacements. I would call your store ahead of time and ask whether they have a replacement in stock for your particular model, since there are so many different models out there.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

They usually have replacements available, but they wont tell you over the phone.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep same thing happened with the iPhone last summer.

5. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

hm, ok. I made a genius appointment so I'll hope for the best then.. but good to know they do keep extras aside..

6. am476 macrumors newbie

Yes. I bought my iPad yesterday in NJ and about 30 minutes into trying it out, I discovered that the typing pad went haywire and started typing random keys on its own (this problem was describe in previous posts for the first iPad). I brought it back and they had some reserved in the back even though they sold out of their inventory. I was able to replace the defective unit and was out of there in 10 minutes.

7. CBlake82 macrumors member

I also have screen issues and some scratching on the corners. I took mine to the genius bar and they agreed it needed replacing. They told me that they aren't currently using the replacements they have from this batch because of these issues. They let me keep this unit and I have to wait until they get a new batch of replacements in. Anybody else get this response?

8. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

nice thats what I like to hear.. I was worried I would have to stick with this ipad or be in for a long wait for a new one..

9. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Made another post about this but I also had corner scratches and I took it in and they had *one* black 32GB Wi-Fi in the back. Brought it out, unsealed it from the plastic in front of me, and it had worse scratches than the one I brought in - so I opted to keep my original one.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Brought my iPad 2 to the genius bar a few hours ago because I had a dead pixel on the display and one spot about 6x6 pixels big a little bit above the home button that the screen was noticeably brighter. Guy at the bar took a look, confirmed the issues and checked in the back for another of that same model. They didn't have a replacement of my model in the store, but he processed everything and said that they were ordering a replacement unit for me and they would call me when it arrives. Gave me a copy of the genius bar work authorization with all the info he put in about it as well. Said he would expect it sometime next week but doesn't know 100% for sure.

Also while I was there I showed them the power brick from my Macbook Pro and how the jacket from the cord coming out of the brick had come loose. Asked him if he knew how to get it back in, he took a look and just grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and exchanged that for me as well. Nothing but good things to say about the genius bar right now.

11. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Did you have to make an appointment first, or did you just walk in ?

12. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Doesn't really matter. They'll take you if they have a free genius which they do often.

13. triplecore1 macrumors member

I got a replacement I was walk in. Had to wait 15min for the next opening at the genius bar not too long considering I didn't RSVP. Anyways they took it to the back and come out with a new one sealed for me. I would bring your box and old documents as they took it from me.

14. jaimeastin macrumors regular

Yeah, they get replacements. I had a replacement the next day as they did not have one the day I went in. Needless to say, I purchased mine from bestbuy. Most people think you have had to buy it from apple to get it exchanged. This is not a STORE/Retail store warranty, but a Apple warranty. It is just so nice that apple is not just a manufacturer, but has retail stores that honors their warranties on the spot. take it in and they will take care of you. once verified, they will get you a new one. Mine came in a brown box, brand new of course. Perfect... Shoot, i bet these are better than the retail versions as these are to replace a defect one. The consumer has their eyes open now. BTW, Check the new device before you leave store. They will activate it for you. Look for all defects in store so you will not have to return.

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I made an appointment.

16. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Apple told me "they should have them available but you may not the color of choice". It's easier to use advanced replacement, I had a new ipad2 at my front door In <24 hr.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Hopefully they have some for replacement at Woodfield in Illinois. I noticed a dead pixel on my iPad this morning and I'm going there in about an hour.

18. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I was able to get a replacement during my appointment last night.. but when I got home I noticed my new unit had a really bad case of light bleed, so I immediately made another appointment, this time at a different store. Went in and told me they had nothing to exchange it with, so I made another appointment for later today at the original store.

I also called up all the stores around me this morning and they flat out told me they didnt have any or that they cant tell me anything and I need to make an appointment. Kind of inconvenient to have to make appointments, and drive around to all these locations just for them to tell you they don't have one in stock to give you.

19. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Apple store called me earlier today to let me know that my replacement unit had arrived. As stated above, when I brought it to the genius bar on Friday they agreed to replace it, but did not have any replacement stock of my model. Surprised that it took only 1 business day for them to receive the replacement unit. Went to the Apple store after work to pick it up. I verified that the screen was good (absolutely pristine, no defects at all this time) before I signed any of the paper work. Also made sure I securely wiped my old iPad 2 before I let them put it back in the box the replacement came in. Excellent service.

20. dstar macrumors regular

I bought a 64GB AT&T 3G from Best Buy on release day. It had like a 2-3 pixel length defect/crack under the glass. I made an appointment at Apple that Sunday to check it out. They confirmed the problem but had none of my units in stock.

Go the call earlier today that my replacement was in. It's restoring now. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no problems. The one I replaced had very little back light bleeding and the Wi-Fi was great compared to my iPad 1.

Sucks that the screen had an issue.

21. KyleMac macrumors newbie

I was allowed to exchange my iPad 2 one time. They would not power the second one on in the store and said that if I was unsatisfied with the replacement that my only recourse would be to return it and wait in line at 6am if I wanted to try to get another one.

Honestly, I understand why I was told this, but I believe its unacceptable. The replacement iPad I received is MUCH worse than the one it replaced and it has 3 dead pixels as well. My first iPad had some definite light bleed, but I could deal with it if I had to. The second one is terrible, its visible in broad daylight, then add 3 pixels that are red no matter what is displayed on the screen and it really sucks :(

If you are considering exchanging your iPad 2 at an apple store right now, DON'T! You've got probably a 50/50 chance of your replacement iPad having the same problem, if not worse. Wait the full 30 days of your return period, and if you're still unsatisfied, then go in and see what they can do. If they do a retail swap, you'll get another 30 days. I was also told that this probably will not be considered a warranty issue as most iPads have the same light bleed problem. So once the 30 days is up, I'm apparently out of luck - even though I have dead pixels in addition to light bleed now.

I'm going to call Apple's national number tomorrow and see if there is anything they will do, but overall, I'm pretty disappointed in the quality control and customer service that went on here. Especially where the genius bar acknowledged a problem and said that my only recourse was to stand in line all over again.