Anyone able to view the full version of gmail.com on iPad??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FWW, Apr 3, 2010.

1. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

If so, how? All I can seem to access is the mobile version...

2. Nexus4144 macrumors member

Yeah. You can. On the bottom of the mobile version, It says desktop version. Click and enjoy!

3. FWW thread starter macrumors regular

FWW

I am a dolt. I was looking for that desktop link at the login page, found it once I logged in.

4. Erisb macrumors newbie

Gmail Desktop version no longer available on iPad?

There is no longer a link. WTF?

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Haven't tried it myself but you could use Atomic and have it "pretend" to be a desktop browser and see if that works. It should in theory.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm glad this subject has been brought up as I was going to post about seeing the proper Gmail web page on the iPad.

I have tried 3 or 4 different web browsers on the iPad to view the Gmail page, in proper desktop computer mode.

None of the browsers can handle this web page correctly. I'm assuming its down to the Apple code deep down that all browsers much use I suppose.

What is the problem you ask?

The problem is, you can't scroll down, it's like you can only see a snapshot of the web page, if you try to move up, you just get grey blank area at the bottom.
    It's quite strange.

Anyone know why this is?

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

8. thekb macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't the "phone" part work from ipad? It should work like a huge speakerphone, right? I make calls from Gmail all the time for the free long distance.

9. trixdawabbit macrumors newbie

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Does anyone know why the iPad still, over a year later cannot properly view the gmail page?

I have tried 3 or 4 different browsers and the iPad still shows up the same fault.
    You can only see the page on screen and it will not scroll, if you try and scroll down to see more emails you just see background.

Its just as if, on the iPad, the gmail screen is just a one screen picture.

Anyone know what I mean?.

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

I know exactly what you mean. I see it on a few other web pages sometimes too.

I use iCab and set the user agent to tell the world that it's Firefox on Windows, that way I don't immediately get kicked into the mobile mode (which I don't like). I then hit the "Basic HTML" link (or something like that) as GMail is loading after the login screen and that gets me a workable full-screen interface. Things like labelling messages are a bit more clunky in this mode but in general I find it perfectly usable.

I think your original suspicion was right, the problem lies down in Apple's WebKit engine which all third party browsers are required to use so if we're right on this then no browser will work properly in the non-basic mode unless Apple fix the WebKit issue.

- Julian

12. jfuentesve macrumors newbie

Google Voice over web browser will be impossible

Guys, I suppose many got here because you wanted to use GV.

Impossible: flash is not allowed in iOS. So look for other alternatives.

13. woodstocknick macrumors newbie

In the mobile view, scroll all the way down to the bottom of list of messages in the inbox. It says "View Gmail in Mobile, basic HTML, Desktop." Just pick one. However, the next time you go to gmail.com, it will go back to mobile.

14. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111