Anyone activated a GEN 1 Iphone after the 3G Launch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loonytik, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I am wondering if anyone has activated a GEN 1 iphone on AT&T since last Friday? I am considering buying the GEN 1 instead of 3G for the time being and wanted to know if the data plan remained the same or if they changed it to the $30 no text message plan.

Also, if you own the phone they dont make you sign a contract....is that correct?

2. myosh macrumors member

I bought a used 2G iPhone from a guy upgrading to the new 3G iPhone Friday afternoon and I activated it later that evening using iTunes.

To answer your questions...
    * Data plan is still $20/month and includes 200 text messages.
    * You must agree to a new 2-year contract.

3. kiteskiutah macrumors newbie

and you still can upgrade to the 2.0 software. If you already an ATT customer just replace the SIM card with yours and activate on itunes 7.7.

Data -$20/mos with 200 text
    new 2 year agreement (gotta love Att)-

you save $15/mos on data +/- whatever the phone costs you.

4. djc6 macrumors 6502

FAN (Foundation Account Number) discounts seem to be available on the 3g iPhone - anyone know if they are now applicable to the old iPhone data plans as well? They previously were not.

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just to clear stuff up. I had the 1st gen iphone and upgraded to the 3g iphone. I gave my old one to my gf. the edge plan is 20$ unlimited data and 20$ unlimited texts. I wouldnt recommend upgrading to 2.0 in the 1st gen iphone. Keep it at 1.1.4. Advantages is you can jailbreak/unlock 1.1.4 and not 2.0. Also 2.0 people are having issues on 1st gen iphone. Every single app on the app store for 2.0 u can get in installer on a jailbroken phone.

6. mwahlman macrumors newbie

the $200 dollar question

Anyone who has recieved a hand me down gen 1 after friday.

Have you checked your "upgrade eligability" for the iphone 3g since you put gen 1 on your service?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Not true. The 2.0 Firmware issues are the same on 1st and 2nd gen iphones. And the 2.0 Firmware has already been jailbroken. It is just a matter of time before the installer is available for download.

8. trs23 macrumors member

I also want to know this.

Please let us know what happens to your upgrade eligibility!

9. Loonytik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

My main question was about the plans....sucks that you have to sign a 2 year agreement even though you own the phone though. Thats not true with any other phone out there....why would it be true of the GEN 1 iphone?

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I'm interested in this as well and hope I'm not hijacking this thread. There is no 3G in my area and probably not for some time, so I've got an offer to buy a 3-month old 8gig original iphone in excellent shape for $200, which seems financially wise considering I do not need to pay the extra $15/month.

However... should I decided to upgrade to a 3G, will I still be able to get it at the subsidized price after getting into a 2-year contract w/ activating the 1st gen phone after 3G launch?

that 2-year contract for bringing a phone to the plan is really annoying. I've been out of contract w/ AT&T for 3 years. I don't like the idea of an extension that limits my ability to purchase a phone in the future when I'm bringing this one in with me.

thanks.