Anyone actually own a PsyStar?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Hey, so the article about the legal skirmish between Apple and PsyStar got me curious and I went to PsyStar's website.

Their prices are amazing. So does anybody own one? How reliable are they? How is the warranty support? Pros and cons please...

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no the prices are not amazing

you can build your own for cheaper and if you are considering a psystar, definitly dont buy one and go build it yourself

3. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

The price(s) are good for a pre built computer but if your considering the lowest cost model you need to replace the stock 300 watt power supply - easy & cheap to do but so is building your own from the ground up.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well, if you look at the OS-X Pro version or whatever its called. It got like 750GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, a 3.0 processor. you can get all that in a iMac for less than the price of the Psystar thing.

heck, if you click on OPEN with OS-X(the 550$ one) and then upgrade the specs to the pro its a whole bunch cheaper!

5. viking396 macrumors member

viking396

A few review sites got one and the computer was in the box un-protected from the static peanuts. So they had to clean them out, the company is a bit on the shady side considering the address changes and the amount of companies the owner is in and out of.

Better to build your own for less and follow the hack's available online.

6. serega macrumors regular

То build one is not a problem but I could not figure out how to download patch or whole thing. I definitely would buy Leopard if I would install OSX on my PC

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

So it will have dual Xeon processors with 12MB of cache and FB-DIMM RAM? I didn't think so, you get what you pay for.