Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well considering Steve Jobs was known to be a bit picky about aesthetics like this, I suppose it's not unreasonable for those of us who admired that about him to be annoyed by this. But I can't say it actually bothers me. I'm too busy being struck by how silly the vast spaces between icons make the home screen look.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Ha! At first I was going to post something snarky like "the icons are aligned, they're just not aligned the way you expect them to be."

I assumed that a little photoshop measuring would show that even though the main icons don't line up directly with the dock icons, they would at least be centered as a group, over the dock icons. In fact they are not.

The guides here show that there is more space on the right side between the edges of the last icon in the dock/the edges of the last row above the dock, than there is on the left side.

So not only are the main icons not vertically aligned to the dock's icons, they're arbitrarily aligned horizontally.

Good job UI team!

ipadscreen.jpg

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
In case of the iPad Air 1 and 2: the icons are lined up but obviously they are not lined up 1 to 1 to the columns of icons above as there aren't enough columns for that (you are 1 column short: 5 vs 6). That requires different ways of lining up the icons. On my Air 2 in landscape the far left/right ones have the outer edges aligned with the far left/right columns above. The center column goes right through the middle. When in portrait mode this isn't the case; they could be using percentages instead of lining it up along imaginary lines. You'd imagine that a mathematical way of lining things up would be considered as perfect by the OCD; it's about as perfect as it can get ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.