Anyone an expert or technician for macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacOSXuser, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Hi,

I got a white Unibody Macbook (late 2009) A1342 model Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz

I spilled some water on the keyboard last night, the LCD backlight started flashing and eventually went out, the backlight will not turn on. I am plugging to my external monitor at the moment, no problems otherwise. Also the water also damaged the left portion of the keyboard, I'm using the bluetooth keyboard atm.

I can fix the keyboard no problem, I know the parts(keyboard cover) that I need.

But as for the backlight, does it link to the logic board or LCD? Cuz if it is linked to the logic board, I will just buy a new computer. thanks.

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Hi,

There is a very long thread in this forum(over 28 pages) regarding backlight issues on this laptop. There are many reputable companies that repair small logic board issues from $60-$300 in the United States. If you can solder QFN and 0402 packages and do some basic electronics diagnosing, you can likely fix this yourself. Read that before selling your laptop.

The backlight issue is indeed a motherboard problem if the problem occurred as you spilled the liquid on the machine.

3. SteveU30 macrumors newbie

Hi, the backlight is built in to the frame of the LCD panel which then gets its power from a small circuit board called an inverter which is hidden in the hinge cover. The inverter then plugs in to the logic board.

It does sound like the motherboard is at fault however is may be worth removing the logic board and cleaning it with 100% alcohol wherever you see a build up of corrosion as it may be salvageable. Just make sure you let it thoroughly dry out before you put it back together and switch it on.

For guides on how to disassemble it just take a look on ifixit.com

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Unibody machines are LED backlit which comes with no inverter board.

5. SteveU30 macrumors newbie

Nice one, I didn't even realise that.