Anyone back using an older OS X version?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by loby, Aug 12, 2015.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

I have always been a user who always loves the latest and greatest tech and have always been one who beta tests, or jumps first to upgrade to the latest OS X.

But..to my amazement, I decided to go back to OS X Snow Leopard on one of my older systems. I have not used OS X Snow Leopard for years and had put an SSD into the old system and have been using OS X Yosemite on it which worked well with no complaints.

I noticed something....OS X Snow Leopard seems to fly on the system and I have started to fall in love again with the older OS X. Even pulled out some of my older programs and it seemed to revive my usage of the programs again, which are good and were reliable. The older system seems now to "just work" without all of the complicated "bells and whistles" the latest OS X's have had since with all of its issues.

Am I in the few on this thinking that if I could not be limited to only being able to put OS X Snow Leopard on an older systems Or by using virtual drives, I would continue to use Snow Leopard, even on new systems if I was able, especially if the software that I use is capable of running on the older OS X version (some of course do not).

Anyone think this way also, not just with Snow Leopard, but even another OS X besides the New latest and Greatest?

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Some one has Not been to the PowerPC section of MR...

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Touché!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that I still use 10.6.8 on.

Boots very fast (5 seconds from the appearance of the apple to the desktop), runs fast, never crashes...

On my late 2012 Mini, still using 10.8.5. Fast and smooth...

5. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I also have a late 2012 mini and put a SSD in it and it is fast. I was thinking to go back to 10.8, but use Final Cut Pro X on it for light video editing that requires 10.9 and above. If not, I would.

As someone commented before on another thread and have been considering the thought that choosing an OS X over another really depends on needs. If you want speed, sometimes older OS X may be better. If you want "new" features now, then maybe have to sacrifice stability or speed until newer OS X's are finalized. I have been changing my view lately to maybe more so stability over "newness". Maybe getting older... ;)

6. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I also have a late 2012 mini and put a SSD in it and it is fast. I was thinking to go back to 10.8, but use Final Cut Pro X on it for light video editing that requires 10.9 and above. If not, I would.

As someone commented before on another thread and have been considering the thought that choosing an OS X over another really depends on needs. If you want speed, sometimes older OS X may be better. If you want "new" features now, then maybe have to sacrifice stability or speed until newer OS X's are finalized. I have been changing my view lately to maybe more so stability over "newness". Maybe getting older... ;)

7. BetsyMePoocho macrumors member

BetsyMePoocho

I have a 2012 Mac Book Pro 13" 2.5 GH Core i5 with 8g men. Yesterday I downloaded and installed Yosemite and the old guy slowed down to a crawl. Man, I was really bummed!!! It was listed as a candidate for the upgrade….

I played with Yosemite for the rest of the day and went to bed sad. Got up the next morning and, using my Carbon Copy Bootable Hard Drive, re-installed my Lion 10.7.6 image. All is well again.

BUT, I would like to do a clean install using Mountain Lion 10.9 which I should have from the Apple Store tomorrow.

I will download it to my external drive, reboot using [opt] button, and hopefully the 10.9 download will install.

How is 10.9??

So, I'll keep my old mid 2007 iMac and my little MBP 2012 running the old OSX's either 10.7 or 10.9. At least they will preform at the ceiling of their technology.

Loby…. I agree with you. Even though I also like the 'latest-greatest' sometimes the old family Buick is still OK.

8. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Yes, I too agree, I actually like OS X Yosemite and runs good on my systems, but sometimes like the old family Buick! :) Perfect visual example-comparison. :)