All iPads Anyone backed the TruGlide Apex stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by fatalle, Nov 10, 2013.

1. fatalle macrumors newbie

I found this stylus a few days ago and was impressed with the demo. It was pretty much what I was looking for, a small nib for proper writing on the iPad.

For us, note takers there are some alternatives like the Adonit Jot Pro and Adonit Jot Script among others. IMO, the first one didn't convince me because of that transparent disc and the Script looks great but the nib is kind of sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zY5UwtFNNA

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/227221698/truglide-apex-fine-point-electronic-stylus-for-ipa

2. jcborden macrumors member

Yes, have backed this and rally looking forward to receiving it sometime in December! Like the idea of the greater precision and a very neat design with rather cool levitating stand.

This is my first kickstarter backing.

3. THFourteen macrumors 6502

4. jcborden macrumors member

Not yet, but they should be dispatched some time this month. I believe they have been somewhat delayed getting it to work (tuning in their words) correctly with the air/rmini but this has now been resolved.

5. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Mine is in the mailbox head home now to pick it up. I guess I shall do a small unboxing video at the least and show how well it works?

6. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Looking forward to the review

7. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Items included at $39 Early Bird Level:
    - Apex Stylus (Obsidian black)
    - (2) AAAA batteries, runs on one
    - Spare Nib
    - Kickstarter carry case

First impression:
    - Good quality carrying case. Has a hole for the status light so you can see if it is on or not. But it only lines up when the Apex is turned on. Looks like a minor flaw, as it lines up when on and is shipped in the on position but had a plastic separator keeping the Apex off.

- Apex Stylus feels good in weight and design.

- On/off is finicky

- LED light is very bright

Use:
    - Very little pressure if any is needed for response (using retina iPad mini) as opposed to the amount of pressure or surface area needed for a response from the Wacom Bamboo.

- Tip may be a little to flimsy, from the limited use I have with the Apex it appears that applying too much pressure/surface area might be creating too points of contact from the one nib.

Pictures:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389681880.336251.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389681894.719290.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389681911.669030.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389681925.519667.jpg

Sorry for the lack of video, apparently I am not geek enough to do a decent unboxing/video review.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

More importantly, how is the writing experience? How is precision at full-screen scale (no zoom)?

All the reviews I've seen of this show people writing huge letters on the screen. I can do that just fine with a $5 rubber stylus or my finger for that matter.

9. CADer, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Anyone backed the TruGlide Apex stylus?

Gonna try several popular apps today, apps pictured:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389726569.292734.jpg

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I'm very curious about its responsiveness in Notability. How is the thickness of the shaft compared to a Jot Pro?

12. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Curious about this too. Very interested in the TruGlide Apex. That said, I just tried Notability with my new Adonit Script and was very suprised at how well it's working for me. Different thread, just wanted to throw it out there.

13. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Not to go off topic, but does Notability now support bluetooth styli? Are you using an iPad Air or retina mini?

14. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I didn't use a BT connection with Notability. I'm using it on an iPad Air, but will try a Retina Mini tonight. Seems to work better than my Jot Flip, which I love.

I'll test it out more in the coming days, for sure.

Should probably move this over to the Jot Script section:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18640454#post18640454

15. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Just sat down to give the several different apps a go and I must have left it on the battery is dead, which I noticed the on switch kinda annoying as you can't tell if it is on in the carry case...and the twisting mechanism if you go just a hair further you start to unscrew it for battery access...

16. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Testing has shown that most apps perform the same. Vertical and horizontal lines are great. Curves are a bit of a problem, see screenshot attached, using four different inputs the Large Toe being the worse coming in second is the Apex, it appears to only really like vertical and horizontal lines..... If you draw a slant slow you will see the ink move vertical and horizontal and not at a slant, even with a straight edge (SE).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389769981.533269.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389769995.816544.jpg

Tested with new battery.

17. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

So its basically the same tech as the script resulting in the curved lines when drawing slowly :(

18. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Any lag issues? Is it still suitable for handwriting? I'm only planning to take notes with it.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

haha @ the big toe.

So basically, I cannot see a difference between the finger, Bamboo, and Apex on the straight lines. There's no thickness difference and basically it comes down to control. So is this just another wonderfully designed stylus that performs as all the others do?

20. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Please note the APEX SE shows that I used a straight edge. And as the previous comment about thickness...the app controls how thick the line is not the stylus, at lease not any of the ones I use as they are not Bluetooth nor pressure sensitive both of which the app has to support.

Will test the apex for writing abilities.

21. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

IMHO Notability has about the poorest inking therefor writing experience of all. Furthermore, if you use it's zoom box, the zoom factor is way too high. Feels more like drawing shapes than actual writing.

Nowadays, both Noteshelf and Notes Plus have a free version. I would appreciate it if you'd test the Apex in those apps. Both have superior ballpen, pencil and fountain pen tools. Notes Plus adds a wetness factor that makes writing look and feel great. I'm sure all this will make a difference in testing a stylus - at least it did with me.

Congratulations on the Apex!

22. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Can someone please give this a whirl with the updated Notes Plus? I don't see anything about native support, but since the 01/08/2014 update I've noticed a significant upgrade in inking ability with a traditional 'rubber' stylus that I had all but stored away in my drawer.

I have an TruGlide Pro on the way and I'd imagine it will be yards ahead of this rubber stylus.

Edit: oops - didn't read the full post above this before commenting

23. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Noteshelf and Notability

Not sure how you can stand the graininess of Noteshelf...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389819268.151671.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389819277.148968.jpg

24. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Ok I tried the free version of Notes Plus, INKredible. And the results below:

I keep getting a situation where the Apex isn't working properly and instead of erasing like the last post I left it. Again as in all screen shots the blue is the Apex writing and Green in the Bamboo. I will attempt to change the battery tho this battery is new from last night and was left off....16 hours is the expected time frame I believe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389820774.092692.jpg

25. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Apps don't need support for the Apex stylus nor is there a way to better support it. There is no Bluetooth or any connection made tot eh device. Nor is the Apex a traditional rubber stylus, the size of the nib is much smaller. I would be interest in your thought on the TruGlide as it is made by the same company as the Apex yet uses microfiber instead of rubber, I think I used one of these and hated it but it might have been a cheap knockoff.

Does Notes plus have a flicker when using the fountain pen? The free app has it bad.