Anyone been able to switch their preordered phone from 2 year to ATT NEXT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joelb727, Sep 20, 2014.

1. joelb727 macrumors regular

I preordered through apple online (keeping my two year unlimited grandfathered plan) and want to switch to ATT NEXT when I receive my phone. I've had several chats with ATT customer service about this and each time get a different answer as to how.

Can anyone who has switched their preorder to ATT NEXT please share their experience. I plan to not activate the phones as it will probably be easier to make the switch.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bazilemac macrumors regular

I hear it is possible. but you're going to have to wait for the refunded 2 year price when you do switch to NEXT.

3. crispytreat macrumors member

I tried but they shot me down. I will try in an AT&T store tomorrow.

4. Udh20skier macrumors member

Yes per Apple and AT&T district mgr...take it back to a AT&T corporate location. Even though it was putchased via Apple they will reimburse you the phone cost and start it fresh from NEXT. Was told everything can be done for me on Monday.

5. joelb727 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. After getting several different messages from att reps, i called my local apple store. They said, no problem. Just bring it in (preferably not activated) and they will refund the phone(s) and place on NEXT. Local store sounded like it would be simple… I'll update after we get the phones this week.

6. joelb727 thread starter macrumors regular

Returned and repurchased device on "next" in apple store. They made me go to att to change my service contract. Everything went smoothly.

7. HoLeeFuq macrumors newbie

So you did the return in a Apple Store and they switched you from 2 year contract to ATT NEXT? What do u mean u had to go to ATT store? Also what the phone new meaning not open and sealed box?

8. joelb727 thread starter macrumors regular

It was a two-part process for me, even though i had been told over and over again by customer service that everything could be done in an apple store.

We did not open the phones. Kept them still in plastic.

The device return/refund was handled at apple. So the upfront monies that i paid for both phones were refunded and then repurchased on the next plan (only paying the tax on the phones) + applecare. Then we activated both phones in the store.

They then told me that in order to change my service plan, I would need to do this at ATT. Since we were in the mall, we went straight there. Changed over the plan to mobile share and confirmed my corporate FAN discount. After that, we traded in our two 4s iPhones for $200 each and then grabbed dinner.

Hope that helps.

9. fiyeroni macrumors member

Thanks for sharing! I plan to do this tomorrow and hope it goes smoothly.

10. opoo macrumors newbie

What happens if apple doesn't have iphone in stock that you want repurchase?

11. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

Then you can't get the phone from Apple. Basically, Apple is letting you do an online return to the store and with the return, you reset your AT&T contract eligibility. Once that's done then you can repurchase the phone pretty much anywhere. I did the same thing as the OP, and though I had fully intended to purchase using NEXT after returning my phone that I originally purchased on 2 yr contract, I ended up buying the phone as a device only from Apple and then taking it home and activating it. If Apple didn't have the phone you wanted in stock then you could go to ATT, BestBuy, Walmart or anywhere and purchase it as a NEXT phone. Obviously, you would have to be concerned about inventory availability wherever you go so you could end up in the same situation as you were at the Apple store. The advantage for me for using the Apple store for me was doing the device only purchase which meant that the phone was immediately unlocked.

Also, the reason the OP had to go to the ATT store is because there was a plan change which Apple won't help with doing. I actually did my plan change at home online.

12. fiyeroni macrumors member

I didn't have much luck doing this today.

I preordered last night and went in to pickup the phone today. The employee who helped me out said they couldn't switch me to the Next plan because it would take some time for my AT&T eligibility to be reset.

Also, he said that if I returned the phone it would go back to inventory and it could be sold to the next person waiting in line.

Fortunately he was able to keep the phone on hold for me while I get everything sorted out with AT&T. They told me I have to wait 24-48 hrs until my eligibility is reset.. Hoping this works for me in the end. :eek: