Anyone been to Afghanistan recently?

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
I may have an opportunity to deploy to Afghanistan. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have been there recently - what it's like, what to take, etc.

Thanks in advance.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
It's still a war zone in a third world country, but now without US troops keeping the peace. Be fair warned.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
My buddy always asks me to send him 5-hour Energy drinks, and prior to him going, he has me tune up his laptop so he can watch a lot of movies. It makes me laugh to think he has time to watch movies. I mean, he's Special Forces and all... movies?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
My buddy always asks me to send him 5-hour Energy drinks, and prior to him going, he has me tune up his laptop so he can watch a lot of movies. It makes me laugh to think he has time to watch movies. I mean, he's Special Forces and all... movies?
You'd be surprised. Deployments are moments of excitement and/or sheer terror followed by hours/days/weeks of boredom.

OP, have you been to Iraq?

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
You'd be surprised. Deployments are moments of excitement and/or sheer terror followed by hours/days/weeks of boredom.

OP, have you been to Iraq?
That's exactly correct re deployments.

I was in Desert Storm in the infantry, I'll be going to Afghanistan in a different branch.

Thanks for all the good wishes - and sunglasses are already on the list!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
That's exactly correct re deployments.

I was in Desert Storm in the infantry, I'll be going to Afghanistan in a different branch.

Thanks for all the good wishes - and sunglasses are already on the list!
Bring extra of everything ... esp. winter PTs (as you will have to turn in one set to laundry every few days). If you like certain brands of hygiene products, bring enough or know where to order online.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
USStandardIssue.com offers discounts on good sunglasses for military & government employees. The savings are substantial.
Not knocking the link, but check anything on there to make sure it is on the APEL (Approved Protective Eyewear List) before ordering anything.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Not knocking the link, but check anything on there to make sure it is on the APEL (Approved Protective Eyewear List) before ordering anything.
Yep, I have the issued eyepro (from Sawfly) and would like something similar with a better prescription system - even if that means having the lenses made for the lens carrier.

Also, now about 99% that I'll be going - just waiting on mobilization orders - already have orders for HST, RST, etc.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yep, I have the issued eyepro (from Sawfly) and would like something similar with a better prescription system - even if that means having the lenses made for the lens carrier.

Also, now about 99% that I'll be going - just waiting on mobilization orders - already have orders for HST, RST, etc.
Personally, I like the ESS Ice Naros, and they work with prescriptions - but they were removed from the APEL.

The Oakley SI Ballistic M and ESS Crossbow are nice as well - and both are Rx capable.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Personally, I like the ESS Ice Naros, and they work with prescriptions - but they were removed from the APEL.

The Oakley SI Ballistic M and ESS Crossbow are nice as well - and both are Rx capable.
Thanks - I'll check them out.

Armor? (Ft. Knox, after all . . .)

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I've never been but I'm in the process of enlisting in the air force right now. I have a buddy who is a loadmaster and has been their multiple times. He loves it. Of course all he does is fly on C130s and drop supplies and stuff but still he is always trying to volunteer to go over their!

be careful!

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I've never been but I'm in the process of enlisting in the air force right now. I have a buddy who is a loadmaster and has been their multiple times. He loves it. Of course all he does is fly on C130s and drop supplies and stuff but still he is always trying to volunteer to go over their!

be careful!
I'm glad you c-130's...... Their crews are the bastard children of the airlift community...... Their experience of deployment is a little different than a c17 or c5 crew.

Is he in the 451 or 455 AEW?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
One of my friends described it as like being in a sauna 24-7, exempt it's mind glowingly dry, so prepare for that.

He wasn't out there for long, but he said it was quite a life changing time for him.

Best of luck.