Anyone been using Scrivener for awhile?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dolphin842, May 17, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I'm about to plunge into my 30-day trial of Scrivener (I'm mostly looking to use it for academic writing). As I dive in, I thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone here has been using it for a while and, if so, whether or not you think it continues to live up to the positive feedback it has received. Also, any off-the-beaten-path tips or tricks to help me get the best out of it would be much appreciated!

2. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I've used it and bought it. I'm also writing my thesis, though I was at the 70% finished state when I got Scrivener.

My take is that it's a great app for brainstorming and working on several parts of a document at once. It's excellent for fiction-writing. What it's completely unsuitable for is for producing the final product, and granted that was never it's intention. It doesn't support footnote-referencing and indexing pages, which also makes it less suitable for research papers.

So bottom-line: Scrivener kicks ass for early-stage writing-projects. It's great for large projects that require parallel thinking. It's not great for complex document-manipulation.

A great app for academic writing is Mellel. It's also got a 30 day free trial and costs the same as Scrivener, so check it out! Another, I hear good stuff about (but haven't tried) is Nisus Writer. And, last but not least, Microsoft Word.

3. mokeyjoe macrumors member

Scrivener is fantastic for writing fiction - I'm not sure how good it would be for iother stuff. Certainly to produce a finished document you'd want to export it to another program. But then it isn't intended to be a layout or word processing app.

Check out the Scrivener forums they're really good.