Anyone Besides Me Enjoy Mbp Late 2008 Vs Mbp2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DIMEZ, Jul 31, 2010.

1. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

First i would like to say I'm a graphic designer and do music and video recording. I had purchased a pre unibody 2008 the week the unibody was announced. I'm not rich so i went with the based 2.4 model. Begin of this month I decided to sell it and get a unibody. At first i was going to get a new 2010. But i found a good deal for a late based 2008 that was purchase in june 09 and had 3 years of apple care and 4gb and a 500 7200 hd.

I was alway wondering if i made the right decision because of the new processors. I was aware in 2009 they made the screens gaumet %60 better and an sd. What i liked about the 2008 was the removable bottom and the express card slot.

so my friend brought over the new 2010 and we did a comparison, and all i can say is im glad i made the right decision...i just love the look of it over the sd update. The 2010 screen is nicer, it didn't have hi res. As for speed it was faster but not as much to where i would spend +900 extra.

I've been throwing intense photoshop edition, music and video editing and have yet to have a prob.

so for those that have a 2008 unibody that was thinking about selling and upgrading to 2010. Unless its necessary or you have the money stick with 2008.

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I had a 2.4 GHz late 2008 unibody machine. Now I have 2.53 i5 mid 2010 one. The difference is minimal (really minimal). The only difference I notice is when I play a high-end game, or when I run on battery power. Thats it. For "normal usage", you won't notice it.

Also, I believe my late 2008 machine was a bit cooler, but I'm not sure.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade from my Early 2008 MBP. I don't like the black keys, glossy screens and non-removable batteries in newer models. Mine still runs flawlessly and does everything I need it to do.

4. shadygrove macrumors regular

I however wouldn't trade my computer for anything else in existence. I love my machine. I don't know how much better than the 2008 model, but it certainly is a great machine with very few drawbacks. I don't think non removable batteries and missing express card are any reason for me to not get then newest machines. I love my hires glossy panel too. If I were to get another when I would still get the same panel. My girlfriend is updating her machine too and also enjoys the hires panel.

5. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

there is no reason trust me, i love that machine....if i could of have both...i love the silver keys ant the look of them, i love the silver bezel and the pro,
    i must admit the keys on the unibody feel better typing. The reason why i updated to the unibody is because i upgraded to snow leopard instead of doing a fresh install, the fans were constantly running and the system started to lag. I had to by an external to do a fresh install, instead of buying an external i found a unibody for 1100. Then sold the pre unibody for $1000. I figured for the bigger hard drive itself was worth the $100 price difference, and to have a apple care when my old one didnt with a faulty video card i could pass it up. i liked how slim they looked, dont get me wrong the pre unibody has a timeless look, looks more like a pro machine but the unibody is just sexy. but you are 100% correct

6. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

actually i heard the new machines are made for games, so i think thats why most people switch. Im not a gamer when it comes to laptops, for some reason i can only play games on a console.....unless like the sims.

im going to have to try that one day and see how it feels.

i notice the 2008 runs much cooler....and quieter...especially during photoshop and flash....

i could of cooked on my early 2008 macbook pro...actually wished i tried an egg before i sold it...

7. sth macrumors 6502a

I owned a "Late 2006" C2D MBP with max'ed out RAM and a 7200rpm HDD before. The main reasons for switching to a 2010 MBP were the display and the graphics card (the old X1600 lacked support for many modern hardware features, thus making e.g. Aperture 3 quite slow).

Don't get me wrong, my 2010 MBP is an amazing machine. But for most of the stuff it doesn't really feel much faster, mainly because both machines have fast HDDs, enough RAM for most desktop tasks and CPU power isn't really a limiting factor for most applications.

If you want a big general speedup, get an SSD instead of a new notebook.

Anyway, I don't regret getting the newer MBP: The screen is great (even though it's not IPS, sadly) which is what I wanted. It's also dead quiet most of the time.

No, it's still the same with Apple: High-End CPUs but only mid-range mobile graphics cards.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I felt the same way when I had the model you speak of I didnt see any reason to upgrade, but mine was stolen so now I am upgraded with a mid 2010 macbook pro base model. I wont be changing up til this one is dead.

9. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

sorry to hear about that, on the bright side you have a new mac...hope you had a back up of everything....

i couldnt imagine my laptop being stolen....i wouldnt know what to do

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I didnt think it would be possible as well for me to have my mac stolen, but I was in my school library and went to use the rest room and it was gone. I backed all my data a week before hand, so I didnt loose much. I still wish I had the system at times just because now I have a "me to computer" not complaining just saying lol.:apple:

11. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

wow are you serious??? did you have a lock on it or jus left it?

12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

No lock just a user name and password I attend jhu and most the students are pretty decent people. But one out of the 50 times I went to the rest room or to get a drink I came back to a empty table no computer just txt books and papers. And I was told no chance of getting it back no way to track it ect.. Even if the person who stole it sold it on clist ect.. and the person tried to register via apple.

13. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I have the 2009 2.8 MBP 17" with non-glare hi-res screen. I love mine and see no reason to buy the current i7 (which is at Intel's lower end of the processor game). Actually, I got to use an i7 to help edit a documentary and honestly I did not find it that much faster when using FCP for rendering. The model that really made the real world difference is the Mac Pro with 32gb of memory. I used one of those when I was editing a marketing video and it left my MBP in the dust! But hey it's not portable either!

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

LOL, sounds like the OP created this thread as a "feel good" post to make him/her feel good about what he/she bought. OP, I'm happy for you that you are happy but to get validation from others for a machine that's almost 3 years old is quite comical. :p That being said, I hated the non-unibody design when I had my Powerbook. The screen lid never sat evenly when closed, it had a warp to it. That was an ongoing issue ever since Apple created that design in 2003 and I hated the fact that optical drive was underneath the right side palm rest, several people had problems with it bowing which is why Apple moved it to the side. But if you're happy, then more power to ya.

15. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

yes thank you! even if comical

16. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Hi! What modern hardware features are you referring to in regard to the X1600? My MBP has a X1600 and I was wondering if it would handle the new WoW coming out....

Thanks!

17. cwsm, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

cwsm macrumors member

+ removable battery (no screwdriver required)
    + hard drive can be easily accessed
    + ExpressCard/34 slot (for SD card adapter, E-Sata, USB 3.0)

- C2D slower than i5 and i7
    - maximum ram supported is 6GB vs 8GB
    - Mini DisplayPort does not support audio out (new models can output HD video and surround sound with 1 cable)
    - lower battery life compared to newer models with "integrated" batteries
    - No automatic graphic switching between the two graphic cards
    - No SD card slot
    - Draft N vs N wireless?

I have a SanDisk ExpressCard adapter for SDHC cards and Memory Stick. It sits flush so I just leave it in all day.

I recently upgraded my 320GB HDD to a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. I compared my boot time with my friend's 15" i7 and while his EFI boot time (from pressing the ON button to the Apple logo) was 1-5s faster, mine quickly caught up afterwards. Apparently, an SSD is the most affordable upgrade for a laptop. 60GB is small for me that I have to move my movies, music, pictures to an external, but I only paid $100 for it. And while I was backing up and moving files around, I noticed transferring files via USB 2.0 was painfully slow. Since both E-Sata and USB 3.0 are faster than FireWire 800 and only available via ExpressCard adapters, I would only trade my 15" late 2008 MBP for a 17" 2010 MBP since it's the only MBP that still has an ExpressCard/34 slot. I don't mind the extra size / weight for the larger (Full HD) display, better speakers, and extra USB port (sometimes it's a little tight having two USB plugged in.)

18. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Haven't had the need to upgrade yet. I'm interested in looking into those new LaCie USB 3.0 Express 3/4 cards. Looks pretty interesting.

19. talkinghead macrumors member

talkinghead

I was looking at a late '08 unit today. I'm in the market for a 15", so this one came up on CL.
    I noticed that it didn't seem to have "great" WiFi range, but wasn't sure if it was the Starbucks wifi or the MBP.
    How is the wifi with these late '08 units? Any other isses I should be aware of?

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you bought the MBP Unibody with Expresscard slot?

Congratulations, you probably bought the last "real" 15" MacBook Pro. :p

I love my computer's i5 processor, battery life, and the 1680x1050 screen, but these are expected upgrades that have come over time. If your laptop had the battery life and HR screen, it'd be the better laptop. Processor speed is a bit better, but only if you really push your system. I don't very often.

And just so you know, my semi-pro DSLR and its CF cards aren't taking advantage of that SD card slot. Ever. ;) If I could put a 5-in-1 slot in there instead, of course I'd do it.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I have heavily used late 2007-mid 2008 pre-unibody 2.4 GHz models. I really prefer almost everything about them, except the (CPU and graphics) speed. The keyboard, the matte screen, the port layout, the removable batteries, the build quality, the feel. Everything. I don't like the recent models nearly as much.

Of course, 2 of them had the Nvidia GPU problem (GPU replaced under AppleCare).

Of course, I could use the improved speed with the new models, but, not enough to give up the superior ergonomics on the older ones. But, that's me. Apparently lots of people love the new look and feel.

22. RKpro macrumors 6502

No wifi issues for me, I rarely have below full bars anywhere.

I've upgraded the RAM, dropped in an intel SSD and inserted an expresscard to sd adapter that's flush with the body. So it's nearly indistinguishable from brand new ones in appearance and functionality. Except the i7s are twice as fast and get nearly twice the battery life.

I've had it for over 2 years, it's aged well. My HPs and Toshibas I used before the mbp would normally last 12 to 18 months, and went wrong. But this thing just refuses to stop being awesome, I'm not planning on upgrading my mbp until there's a really significant update.

23. talkinghead macrumors member

talkinghead

Not to start down a different path, it does seem there are WIFI issues related to the Unibody construction. I'm really talking about signal strength and the ability to lock on to weaker, distant signals.
    My Thinkpad will grab a neighboring router that's a good 80 yds. away, and can run Hulu w/o interruption. It's great when travelling.
    That said, I would opt for a polycarbonate Macbook if I knew the WIFI worked better.

24. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think the last of the non-Unibody MBP's were junk personally.

-Many of my keys have worn off so they are now just gray blobs.
    -The bottom half bends easily...I bumped it a couple of times and the corner by the Superdrive is warped, causing the metal to 'pucker' over the drive itself and cutting my wrist with use.
    -The finish on both sides of the trackpad has worn away down to bare metal.
    -I had the screen replaced twice, the logic board replaced twice, etc.

I think with the Unibody, Apple finally realized their design plan. My non-Uni's look like childrens' toys by comparison to me.