Anyone boot from Thunderbolt SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ri0ku, May 24, 2014.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Hey guys just wondering if anyone here boots their primary OS from an external thunderbolt SSD?

I have an iMac mid 2011 which has thunderbolt ports but only usb 2.0 ports (So I am planning on getting a thunderbolt dock to get USB 3.0 ports)

I am wanting to hold off buying another machine for a while so trying to do a few things to help improve performance, one of those things is loading times with the standard HDD inside the machine.

I am thinking about getting the Seagate Goflex thunderbolt adapter and buying a decent SSD to use as my OSX boot drive and installing my most favoured apps on it, then using the internal drive for data or possibly for my Windows bootcamp partition.

Am I overlooking something here ? this should be possible right ? and I should gain significant loading/performance improvements booting from an SSD via thunderbolt right ?

(the machine is still in warranty which is why I don't want to open it up and change things around internally)

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Many people are booting off an external TB SSD, and I haven't seen any issues as I've been looking through posts as I'm considering doing it myself.

I just bought the Elgato Thunderbolt dock today ... very nice bit of kit. Got 2 external 2.5" USB3 drives attached to it. Also using the ethernet port to replace a USB ethernet dongle I was using. And, plugged my TB/DVI dongle into the 2nd TB port on the dock to drive my 2nd monitor. Reviews stated that this dock has the fastest USB3 performance compared to the startech, belkin and caldigit. If you buy the dock from Apple, you get the TB cable included for the price of the dock on its own from other sellers.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes.

A quick search would have turned these up but see here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here for a few relevant threads.

4. Drewski macrumors regular

...or if you buy it direct, or if you buy it from Amazon (same price, at all three, btw). The TB cable comes packaged with the dock from the factory.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Well a quick look on the Elgato site shows that the dock "from the factory" is 189.99, as opposed to 179.99 from Apple.

6. Drewski, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

Drewski macrumors regular

Yeah... no.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFA82VC/A/elgato-thunderbolt-dock?

Please include the link for the "179.99 from Apple." The Apple store site i see shows 229, as does Amazon. Not sure how to buy "from the factory" but that would be good info too.

EDIT: Hmm. I guess including the monetary designation could clear up the discrepancy.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm talking about in the UK.

The dock sells for £189 with the cable (including on the elgato site), and £179 without. Unless you buy from the Apple Store, where it's £179 with the cable.

8. Drewski macrumors regular

Yeah i figured that later, hence the edit. Yikes, almost 40% more with todays exchange rate. You guys really pay a premium.