anyone bought a 360 lately?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by twoodcc, Jul 19, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm wondering if 360s are now working properly. i know when they first came out, they had all types of overheating problems and the 3 rings of death or whatever. i'm curious to hear how the build quality is now?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My first xbox lasted for years, until our dvd player broke and my parents thought they could watch dvds on the xbox. Well it overheated and I got the red rings, sent it out and got it repaired for free took like 6 weeks but I got it back and its problem free, the new ones have better chips in them so they dont overheat etc oh yea they have PPC processors

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. is there a link or somewhere i can read more about this info?

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The built quality?
    Are you referring to MS's acknowledgement and warranty extension of the original platform? if you get an old used one you may be covered if it fails.

I have 2 original launch consoles still running and 3 jaspers which are nice and quiet.

My nephews have an original launch that is horribly ventailated, sitting on a carpet, and probably kicked around. Its still running like a top. A friend has the original as well 2 RRODs. Microsoft has repaired the unit both times a no cost.

Take a look at this page, this will help ensure you get a Jasper version, some stores still have the older falcon paltforms.
    http://www.360-hq.com/xbox-tutorials-81.html
    here is some good info
    http://kurtsh.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!DA410C7F7E038D!4487.entry

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Bought mine almost a year ago, and haven't had any problems.

I wasn't worried because if it does RROD, it's covered for three years.

By that time I'll probably be ready to by the next generation console -assuming one is out by then.

I think keeping it out in the open, instead of in a cabinet really helps keep the heat down, and will prolong the life of it.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for all the links guys. it seems that they are still having problems, but they have at least tried to fix them.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Really? what kind of problems?

Just out of curiousity have you read this forum at all and "all" the issues mac. ipods and iphones have?

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

the 3 rings of death. basically it equals sending in for repair.

as yes, i've been on this forum for quite a while. the difference in this situation is that almost "all" xboxes get this problem, sooner or later.

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

hahahaha, generalisation much:rolleyes:??

Just out of curiosity how many people do you know that have an xbox? Out of them how have had them replaced?

I know a lot of people who have an xbox and I am the only one that has had to have it replaced and it was not for RROD. Also i have had it for over 3 years (i think).

If you want an xbox buy one!! they have a warranty for a reason but chances are you won't need to get it replaced.

Remember of the people commenting on the xbox's problems online are only a small proportion of those who actually own them. People without problems don't say so in forums etc, so its not a fair representation. Same with any product.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm still one of the lucky ones with a 360 that's 3.5 years old and still working great....... :D

I must have got the one xbox 360 that they used to pass the quality control at launch :D

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought one a few months back, I don't play it much though. Anywhere from a couple of hours a week to a couple of hours a month. So it probably doesn't get chance to overheat.

12. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I went through three 360's before discovering my brilliant PS3. The fact that it's nearly silent is enough of an edge over the 360. Oh and it's never broke down.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's not just a generalisation if it's true. Of all the people I know personally with a 360, not one hasn't had a failure. (That's only a small sample of 10 or so people, but that's enough to be worrying!) My own 360 has been sent back for repair twice. My Wii, never. My PS3, never.

It's far too LOUD. The DVD drive failed. It red-ringed when I installed NXE, and in the console they returned the fan is now even louder. It freezes far too often.

If the PS3 were a better media-extender, I'd hardly use the 360. My console is 2 1/2 years old though, newer consoles might be of a better quality.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm on my fourth Xbox360 and the three year warranty is a pain for me since I moved.

The fourth one is still going strong for over a year now but that might be due to me not using the thing anymore. I hope it stays in good shape because I gotta get my splinter cell on soon.

Bless

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks again for the replies. yeah i already have a ps3. i'm just in a weird situation where i'm thinking about buying a 360 (it would be stupid to buy another ps3).

it seems that they are working on the issue at least

16. pmcb macrumors member

just get that elite, two fans, gotta have a 360. for full disclosure my elite got rrod but f it :p.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Too much caffeine?
    :confused:

18. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I guess i'm going to have to admit that the xbox is prone to failure.

Anywayz.... just today i found out one of mates xbox has broken so there goes my story quoted above. Oh and btw OP his was bought about 3/4 of the way through 2008.

I think the main draw point towards the xbox is the exclusive games that it has and its media capabilities and not its reliability/quality (sad to say)