Anyone bought a eBay "fake" smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Chupa Chupa, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Tons of smart cover knock offs on eBay. Anyone bought one -- I'm curious how they stand up to time. I've never been able to stomach Apple's $40 price tag.

2. sdwhite1215 macrumors member

3. oli356 macrumors 6502

Same, might not be without a 'proper' case for a week or so after I get my iPad on Friday.

Blue Magnetic Smart Cover Case Stand for Apple iPad 2 New iPad 3 3rd Generation - £7.99 on ebay, really cheap. Can't really go that wrong for that price.

4. richlee111 macrumors regular

Yes, I have bought one before on eBay. Is it worth it? It depends on whether you value quality or not. IMO, the knockoffs will not last very long. The one I got had a very weak feeling hinge mechanism where the cover's magnet strip sticks to the iPad and has the pivot mechanism for opening and closing against the iPad screen. When I say weak, it does not feel smooth nor do the parts feel tight. Also, the magnets used on there are not as strong as the original.

But in the end, it will work and you won't have problems with it. But it will probably last 1 year before the hinge falls apart. Think of it as a fake Rolex:)

As for me, I ended up returning that and just getting the original.

5. nd3eb macrumors member

It's a waste of money...

I bought a red one last year because i liked the red color and couldn't justify buying at $70 from apple.

I used it for like a day and havent used it since. It's stiffer than the actual smart cover, meaning when you fold it up to use it as a display it doesn't always stay, sometimes popping back open. The magnets also dont work as well.

It's basically like throwing your money away.

I know the real smart covers are expensive and overpriced, but it's worth it in the end if thats the cover you really want.

6. MortalDays macrumors regular

Smart Covers on Amazon are fakes too. Only buy smart covers from Apple.:rolleyes: