Anyone bought the 1.5TB MBA 2018 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Zapdoc, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Zapdoc macrumors member

Thinking of getting the max upgrade 16GB and 1.5TB - anyone got this one ? and how is it I value long battery life on MBA 2018

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Wow. Just wow. Not on the ram but the 1.5 TB hard drive. You sure you need THAT much space at that much of a luxury cost? The price premium of apple's ssd over everyone else's is an insane markup. You'd be better off getting a smaller configuration and if you need more, go external

But if you've got the money and just want it, hey. more power to ya man. Personally I could get a fat lottery check tomorrow and I still wouldn't pay apple that much

3. auxbuss macrumors regular

auxbuss

Not me, but I would like to ask what you need that much space for. I'm not questioning you – how you use the machine is your concern – I'm genuinely interested to understand why folk need that much space.

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

The only thing I can think of is some super professional work but then the question arises, if you need it for SUPER PRO purposes, why did you get a casual machine like the air and not the pro? So I don't know. I'm assuming this person has more money than they know what to do with

5. niji Contributor

niji

since the new 2018 MacBook Air is not a speed demon in terms of processing power (i am not denigrating the machine; i just bought one and love it), there is only one reason to buy a machine that has so much space:
    if i were going to go to a cabin in the mountains for the entire winter, where there is no internet, i would want to put on the machine about 200 newly released films and half of all available apple music.

seriously, on a machine that only sips power and is not all that good at doing several things at once, even with 16GB ram (which i also have), only taking the device to a location without the net is the reason why that SKU exists.

6. Zapdoc thread starter macrumors member

Hi. all just thinking that I'd like to have 1.5 TB but in reality it costs too much and will settle for 512GB with 16GB RAM
    Why ? I just like having all my stuff on the MBA and in one place. Wonder why Apple offered 1.5 TB and not 1 TB like they do on the MB Pro ? Odd choice - I have tried both MBA and MBPro and only issue with the 2013 MBPro is the poor battery life - would not go more than 5 or 6 hrs on web browsing with 10 battery cycles - returned it and getting MBA instead as I don't need speed but do want battery life

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I am totally with you that wanting to put everything on your MacBook. Putting everything in the cloud is unreliable and kinda dangerous. But still, external storage makes so much more sense and that choice is also very cost effective.
    In regards of battery life, I don’t own that machine, but MacBook Air should be able to last long enough most of the time.

8. Zapdoc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I agree I'll get a 1TB external SSD or HDD and go with the 512 GB SSD built in
    Any idea why battery life is so less than the 10 hrs quoted by Apple for 2018 MBP 13 inch with TB ?

9. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Yes. Cos its a 28W quad core vs a 7W dual and the battery isn’t 4times the capacity.
    But if u do the exact same tasks on both machines it shouldn’t be a huge difference

10. kreasonos macrumors 6502

I think they did this to push people to the Pro models. It doesn't make sense they offer 512 then 1.5 and no 1tb option other than to push people toward the pro which does offer a 1tb option. Also, I like to have all my stuff on the computer also and that space can fill up pretty easily with movies and photos.

11. djholman macrumors newbie

I sprung for the 16GB 512GB version. Seems the 512GB is quite a bit faster than the 128/256 based on what I'm seeing in reviews.

My 512 = 1.75 GB/s write, 2.0+ GB/s read.

Reviews I've seen show 0.95 GB/s write, 2.0+ GB/s read.

12. Zapdoc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all who replied - git the new MBA 2018 16GB with 512 RAM and an external 1TB HD (SSD too pricey) Great set up computer does all I need and more
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all here