Anyone burning Blu-Rays with MacBook Pro 15" with Touchbar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LV426, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I've tried burning a few Blu-Ray movie images using my portable Samsung Blu-Ray burner SE-506, using Apple's USB-C to USB adapter. The behaviour is different compared to my previous (sold) MacBook Pro. The Blu-Ray LED does not flicker continuously — it blinks in fits and starts, and of the three discs I've tried so far, none has verified on read correctly, and has been ejected prematurely. I've tried writing at 4x and 2x speed with the same results.

Any ideas?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Sounds like something in the cable/adapter/port connections. Try different ports, and if that doesn't work, if you can try a different adapter, do that too. Good luck.

3. LV426 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not having much luck with this. I got a USB-C to Mini-B cable today from an Apple Store. The MacBook doesn't even recognise that a BluRay writer is connected, and the eject button on the Blu-Ray writer doesn't do anything. Apple describe it as "for Connecting Mini-B devices, such as digital cameras and GoPro, to a USB-C-enabled device" for syncing or charging. I guess I'll be returning that cable and having a re-think.

4. deadworlds, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017

deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Is there any chance you might be able to purchase a USB-C compatible blue-ray drive? To me it appears that maybe the adapters are not providing all the data pins needed to successfully burn a disk.

5. AppleSmack macrumors regular

Can Macs only use Apple's Superdrive? Or do third party burners work too?