Anyone buy a Canon T4i yet?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Madmic23, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge on the new Canon Rebel T4i.

I currently have a Canon XSi, and am considering upgrading to the T4i. I like the idea of being able to shoot video since I frequently have my DSLR with me but not my video camera.

I've also considered getting the T3i instead since it's on sale at a lot of places now.

For those of you who have bought the T4i, what do you think?

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

i have a 600d, i played with the new t4i 2 days ago, like really the guy at the store even said for that price your better off going for a better camera or a 600d, t4i is just an over priced gimmick not that its a crap camera its just overpriced

3. cmdrmac macrumors regular

It's still a brand new model. I'd give it a few more months and the prices should drop a bit to a more reasonable level (reasonable to me at least :))

4. ThomasN1981 macrumors newbie

I had it for some days. Today i sent ist back to Amazon. Changed it by a 60D (thats the name in Europe, i don't know if it has another name elsewhere)
    My old 1000D in my opinion has a better quality than the new t4i, in a haptical way. Image quality is better, but i don't want to spend so much money for a new camera if i feel its cheap.
    I dont care about video so this is no argument for me. The video autofocus with a 15-85 USM lense was bad in low light situation. Maybe better with the new STM lenses.
    You should test the camera. It is a good DSLR, but not for me. technical specifications is not my main focus, even if I thought it is when I ordered the T4i.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

6. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was thinking. For the price, the T3i is probably the better deal for me. The idea of a touch screen on a DSLR doesn't get me too excited.
    I understand the T4i can use the STM lenses which are better for auto focusing during video, but the way I shoot video I don't really need that. I prefer to focus my shot and then start recording.

7. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I am a Nikon guy so I won't be looking at the new Canon. But....... I never buy a brand new model. I always wait for at least 9 months, but usually a full year. There are always issues that are discovered only after the product is released, and I want to wait until they have been fixed. Also, as someone else said, I can avoid that initial rush and let the price come down. With any electronic or photo gear, the people that wait to buy have fewer complaints about quality. Sit back and wait. Let other end consumers test the equipment for you.

8. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

On Youtube, Digitalrev TV has a comparison review of both the T3i and T4i (600D and 650D).

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfINGg4w6XM&list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A&index=7&feature=plcp
    And I bet dpreview.com has a review already.

A couple months ago I got a 600D (T3i) body and a 1.4-50-mm-Canon lens for about a thousand USD. It's my first SLR coming from a micro four thirds and it's way better camera.

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Excellent point. Although if you're really itching to get your hands on a brand new camera body that was released, just be prepared to crutinize it very closely when you're testing it out. That way if you do manage to find that something is "off" you can return it to the store and (hopefully) exchange it if they have the camera in-stock.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have a T3i now and I think the T4i is way overpriced for only marginal features. Haven't had a chance to tinker with it in person however, from the specs sheet, it doesn't look like any vast improvement over my T3i. I think you would be just fine in getting a T3i since the prices for those are dropping now that the T4i is out.

11. Crotonmark macrumors regular

Actually the reviews have been very positive for the t4i. There is new electronics compared to the t3i and the 60d. It is cheaper than the 60d.