Anyone buy a Macbook Pro from Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhoBitTheApple, May 7, 2014.

1. WhoBitTheApple macrumors newbie

What is their policy on exchanges? For instance, if I wanted to exchange my 13" and upgrade to a 15"?

I looked on their website and they don't talk about exchanges. When I bought the 13" a few hours ago I asked the associate that was working there about exchanges and he told me that I could do it without a re-stocking fee. But I'm not entirely sure if he was saying that truthfully or not just so he could get the sale.

Whats your experience with best buy? Did they allow you to exchange it and upgrade even if the box was open? Or did they hassle you and charge you a re-stocking fee?

I would greatly appreciate it. Currently looking at this rMBP is killing me and I want to at least use it for a few days to see if I want to upgrade to the 15" model or not.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Anyone buy a Macbook Pro from Best Buy?

Long as you're within 14 days and have the original packaging and receipt, there should be no problem making an exchange.

3. MikeVera macrumors member

As long as you're within the return period (I believe 14 days, may be longer if you are a Elite member), then they will let you upgrade through exchange.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, just return it and buy the one you want.

Or exchange it.

You'll need an ID to do both.

5. g.t. rags macrumors regular

is there a way to reset it to factory settings?

6. WhoBitTheApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually this is a really good question, I would like to know this as well so one of the employees isn't curious and looks at all my info.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

9. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I purchased from Best Buy a MacBook Air and then returned it about a week later to exchange it for a MacBook Pro w/ Retina. There were no problems exchanging it.

10. arnamak macrumors member

Just as an FYI in addition to this, if you're a member of Elite (reward zone, free) you get 30 days. If you're Elite Plus (if you spend over $10k at BB over a year, I think) you get 45.

11. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Elite requires $1500/year and gives you up to 30 days to return. Elite Plus requires $3500/year and give you up to 45 days to return. We had to buy a washer and dryer so we went well over the $3500 limit.

We went through probably a half dozen cameras until we found one we liked. There was never a problem with a return, always for a refund, except trying to get someone at the desk to help us.

12. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

15 day return policy if you're a basic member (Free)
    30 day return policy if you're an Elite member ($1,500/yr)
    45 day return policy if you're an Elite Plus member ($3,500/yr)
    No restocking fee on anything.
    Also, Best Buy employees aren't commission based so they're not just trying to get you to buy.
    When I bought my late 2012 15" rMBP I exchanged it for a new one 2 weeks later with no problem. They just asked me what was wrong with the one I was returning. I've also returned and exchanged a few iPads.

13. Essenar macrumors 6502a

No restocking fee and you're not obligated to purchase anything within the 14 day return period.

You can return, exchange, refund. And regardless of what they say, you can do the exchange and if it's a cheaper laptop, get the difference back in CASH MONEY, not a gift card. The minute you exchange your real money for a gift card, you've potentially lost 80% of its value unless you use EVERY SINGLE CENT inside Best Buy.

And their "extended warranty" is only better than Apple Care if it's cheaper. At the same price, regardless of what nonsense and BS they tell you, is not better than Apple Care. With Best Buy coverage, they CONSTANTLY try to avoid doing the repair but with Apple Care, if it's covered it's covered, no questions asked.