Anyone buy a used MBP with Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

There's a used MBP I found locally with Applecare. Serial # checks out and the warranty status does but the owner does not have the papers or proof of the Applecare. He said that he's willing to call Apple together during their hours of service so we can get a transfer of warranty done.

I've done transfers of warranty info on the phone with Apple before but only on the 1-year warranty. But with the 3-year Applecare, I have heard that you NEED the paperwork?

So if this guy doesn't have the papers, am I **** out of luck? I can't ever use the warranty or have it on my name ever?? Does apple send you replacement copies or have online records? (They must right?)

I don't want to end up with this Macbook Pro with Applecare that expires in 3 years if I can't even use the warranty.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You shouldn't need anything, and you don't technically even have to call and transfer the warranty (it doesn't hurt, but they don't really care). It's all tied to the serial number. It'd be better if you had the paperwork in case they gave you trouble down the road, but that's rare.

jW

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

4. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Its good to know, turns out the seller found the warranty papers. :)