Anyone buy desktop connect for their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maynerd, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Maynerd macrumors regular

I'm considering it...looks pretty cool. I have a Windows 7 machine btw, so if you have purchased the app and are connecting to a win7 machine I'd really like to know your experience.

Thanks

2. pzee macrumors newbie

I'm using Desktop Connect - it works great and is speedy. No issues with Windows 7.

3. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Bought Jump Desktop instead because it was cheap, $4.99. So far it has worked great with Windows 7.

4. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Winadmin also works fine.

Kenal0

5. luten macrumors newbie

LogMeIn Ignition is working well for me (they have a universal binary now)

6. shaotse macrumors member

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Quite upset they had to make a separate version, when LogMeIn was universal. Clearly, they're watching their bottom line as a priority.

I remember when they were called Jaadu and they temporarily dropped from $24.99 to $4.99. People snapped it up, then Jaadu was posting that a software update would be coming out and they would be looking to charge additional for it. There was an uproar from a lot of buyers, but the smarter people knew that updates to the same application were free in iTunes.

Who knows, they may provide it as an in-app purchase for current iTeleport customers, but in the meantime, I'll hold off buying from them.

8. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more - I love the iPhone version but if they think I am buying the app again for my iPad they must be smoking crack.

This is a worrying trend - some of my favourite apps are double charging - Civ Rev, iTeleport etc.

9. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

iTap RDP also works very, very well and supports the iPad.

10. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular

Arrrgggh I didn't expect this type of repsonse...not that it's bad.

I guess I gotta ask..which is the best? :)

11. izzyfest macrumors newbie

12. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I bought LogMeIn a long time ago for my iPhone and that works awesome. I am very happy they made it a universal App. On the iPad it is much easier to remote control my Macs at home.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Do you get the Mac desktop filling the iPad or it is bigger causing you to move around it? ie. Is it scaled?

And when you say universal is it a 1x/2x solution or does it use the whole screen. I am wary of any Apps that aren't iPad specific. I think a new version is almost a must to take advantage of screen real estate. BTW, I don't have an iPad yet. But for example, I think Apple needs to release an iPad specific version of their Remote App, but redesign the interface for the iPad screen to do more, not just blow it up.

14. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Universal means it both works for iPhone and iPad and each has it's own version.

LogMeIn scaled the screen to fit the screen on the iPad and I can zoom in to view closer if I like to.

15. undrpsi macrumors regular

Yeah...I am a little pissy at 2K for wanting $7.99 for the Civ:Revo iPad version. I already own it for iPhone...you don't get anything but a larger field of view. No maps. No new units, buildings..etc.

I'll wait for a real upgrade or to see if they have a pro-rate for current owners.

Having said that, it runs excellent in 2x mode...no jaggies and it's FAST!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Cool. I got the original Jaadu before it became iTeleport but have never used it or set up what needs to be on my iMac and network to access it from my iPhone. I just got it when Jaadu had the 4.99 from 24.99 intro sale. But I would want to use such an app when I get my iPad. Heck, I just turned on BacktomyMac for the first time in my Airport Extreme and am now accessing my iMac from my MacBook at work, though screen sharing is slower than I would like.

17. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

Are these applications like Remote Desktop on the PC? Whats a good suggestion for remoting to a Windows 7 desktop?

18. designresults macrumors member

FYI, I bought LogMeIn for the iPhone last year, and when I downloaded the iPad version, it told me I already owned it and did not make me pay again.

19. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

The faster your home connection the better. I have a 40Mbit/5Mbit at home and mine is pretty smooth.

20. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I have Desktop Connect & really like it. It's fast, responsive & easy to setup. Being able to play my baseball simulator (OOTP) on my iPad without lugging my laptop around the house makes this software so worth it.

21. BigApplez macrumors newbie

Out of the Park Baseball and At Bat 2010 for iPad

I wish I had seen Desktop Connect for the iPad before I bought the At Bat 2010 for iPad for $15! I love my baseball and was able to play OOTP (Out of the Park) baseball from the iPad!

I LOVE Baseball season!

LogMeIn was too expensive and I found it slower.

22. chris654 macrumors newbie

SSL on desktop connect

Does anyone know if Desktop Connect allow to to connect to a VNC Server using a SSL connection.

Thanks,
    Chris

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just downloaded and posting from my iPad to my Mac Pro. So far works very well. I have a 30" and surprised how easy it is to read on the tiny iPad.

24. glowrider macrumors regular

Still wondering how to click and drag icons with this app. Anyone?

25. BigApplez macrumors newbie

desktop connect click and drag

i was wondering this too and read the help and found out you tap and hold .. a about 1 second then the mouse icon in the toolbar changes and then you can move your finger around to drag it.