Anyone buy the 1st iphone at the launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by busterbluth, Jun 22, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Everyone keeps on talking about lines and shortages one July 11th, but what was the situation with the first release? Im sure that there will be lines, but I dont recall hearing about any major shortages (like the wii) during the first launch. Did anyone try and buy it a few days after the launch and have problems? Im planning on going the next day. Im not waiting in a line for and iphone on a friday night...

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You can't really compare last year's launch to this year's.

Last year, those in line waiting were a relative handful of early adopters; hardcore Apple fans, phone geeks, gadget hounds, trendoids, etc...not your average consumer. At that point, no one had fondled the iPhone, seen what it could do, etc.

This year, after 12 months of ogling, free word-of-mouth advertising, hands-on fondling, and general lusting after the phone, everyone and their mom wants one. Add to that the legions for whom $299 was too pricey, but $199 is the right price, and you potentially have a much longer line.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I did.

The line at the Apple store was enormous, I know some people who waited it out and it was 6+ hours with hundreds of people.

I went to the AT&T store 5 minutes away and was 12th in line and only waited a couple hours. There was a shortage and the manager started turning people away after I believe 60 people were waiting in line.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Apple stores had little stock left at the end of the night, but every AT&T store sold out quick. I was 35th-40th in line and i got THE LAST iPhone. Keep in mind i waited 4 hours :)

You really can't compare it though, because even though there was so much hype the first time, it's going to be about the same, if not higher this time due to the fact of the cheap price that appeals to everyone.

The word isn't out now that much (it is actually) but just wait until we get into July. The internet / media is going to be plagued about it.

5. Vster macrumors 6502

I was at launch last year and there were long lines and shortages everywhere in the DFW area. And that was when the price was $600. I'd bet that just as mcdj said, people getting their hands on them. That this will be huge. Unless people are really turned off by the extra $10/month for service, which they probably won't be. :)

6. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a good point, I'll just wait till they restock and the hysteria dies down...I thought waiting till July 11th was bad.

7. maceleven macrumors 6502

dont worry

there will be a small line this time around but they will be a line and there should be plenty to go around, i was 13th in line and these dumb people payed me $150 to get them a iphone so i said yes and there was about 300 people in line and every body was buying in 2's and there still was phones the next day. .

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, thank goodness. The $599 price tag (I had NO interest in a 4GB model) kept me away easily. I really liked my 5th gen iPod at the time and got by with my Razr, so I was waiting for the 3G/GPS/more storage stuff.

Well, I bit on a refurb a couple of months ago. Kinda glad I did because I paid only $50 more and won't get charged $30 (plus I like having a few free texts). Sure, 3G and GPS would be nice, but maybe I can wait around until they need to move more units and they offer a free phone or something. :)

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

i came away net positive buying the iphone on opening day last year. Bought two in Portland, as I was visiting my parents.

So cost 1200. Then sold one for 700. Net 500 for iphone.

Then they dropped the price by 200, I found a store that was doing refunds in cash for all of it. Got my refund and the guy i sold it to refund. Net 100 for iphone.

Then I sold my old treo 650 for 150. Now up 50.

Then I could still upgrade, bought a treo 750 for 100, sold for 350. Net up 300 or so.

I don't think I will get as lucky this time. In fact wondering if I will even get it. 10 bucks, plus more for text messages per month just for 3g and gps, really wondering if its worth it.

Don't see as crazy of lines being a problem with this one. Not as many campers, as selling the phone will be extra tough. It will be busy for sure, but I think the hype is definitely calmed down.