Anyone buy the Hard Candy hard shell case for the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BANANACANADA, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BANANACANADA macrumors member

I am trying to decide on which hard shell case I should get for my rMBP that offers the best protection — I am referring to this: http://www.hardcandycases.com/hard-shell-for-macbook-pro-retina.html

I already put a ding in the top of the unibody case by accidentally smacking my magsafe cord off it when putting the charger away. It's a very small ding, practically only noticeable to me, I just want a hard shell case to prevent wear and tear when it's out of its carrying case.

I hear the traditional hard shells will scratch the unibody when taking off the case to clean it over time, so the corner snap system seems safest. My only problem I see with the case is that it looks like it adds more bulk, and my take away from the slimness of the machine (adds an additional pound to the computer).

If anyone has this case, please post pictures (as they are extremely limited) and your overall opinion of the case — what are it's features, what it protects, does the lid close all the way, does the lid open all the way when working, etc. I would hate to throw money away.
    Thanks.

2. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

3. procrastinasn macrumors regular

I don't understand why anyone would put something so heavy and thick I their MacBooks. Do they even protect against drops?

They make MacBooks extremely heavy and, in my opinion, ugly.

I'd recommend getting a guard like bodyguardz or best skins ever.

4. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

I would rather have something quick and easy — time is money you know. Those film guards don't look like they would do a good enough job, but thats just my opinion.

5. pikkashoe macrumors regular

I got the clear speck case for my retina.
    I already have a icarbons skin on it, but wanted something more to protect the retina. The speck fits just fine over the icarbons skin. Its a perfect fit and definitely a better finished product than the old case i had, the kuzy case.
    I dont have any pics yet, but I will get some up for you later if you want me to.

The clear case looks awesome, but it has its faults.
    For one, it scratches just by looking at it. But i knew that when purchasing it.
    Also it gets lint and stuff under it, luckily i have the icarbon on there so it wont scratch the finish. But at the same time, the black color really makes the lint stand out. I dont mind as long as its protecting the retina.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

really, a bump 15min after your initial post?

In regards to the topic, I don't think this case is out yet. It was originally supposed to ship next week, but the site now says November, so i'm guessing it's been delayed.

I guess we should all be like you, think like you... :rolleyes: Different strokes for different folks. Obviously there is a market for something like this or companies wouldn't continue to make them.

7. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

I am so ********** sorry. I had no idea...... Could you every forgive me?

8. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Impatient and now rude.

I just went to their website and it says "ships November 2012"...... Check back next month.

9. MT0227, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

MT0227 macrumors 6502

I just received the black satin Speck over the weekend and I have to say the fit is fantastic. It does not add bulk to the feel and look of the rMBP when compared to the Specks for the standard 13" MBP I got for my kids a year ago.

With that said, you need to question what protection the Speck provides. My view is that it will clearly prevent against scratches and should prevent dents and dings from MINOR bumps and bangs. and not so much on a long fall to the ground. All that separates your rMBP from the world is the thin shell that fits flush against your machine.

The pictures of Hard Candy shell would suggest it adds a bit more bulk on the corners and perimeter as it seems to have a slight gap or cushion to dampen side impact similar to the "Life Case" for the iPhone.

So, I see the following:

Speck = less bulk, with less protection
    HC = more bulk, with more protection

YMMV.....goodluck!

Attached Files:

10. rgr555 macrumors 6502

really doubt that provides more "protection" than speck, or any other plastic covered case

if you're dropping your laptop and banging it against metal objects often enough to tell, then let us know how it holds up

11. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Read what I wrote....please. Again....

> Speck SHOULD prevent against MINOR bumps and bangs..not against drops.

You also need to review the pics of the HC. The've clearly tried creating a dampening border to protect the edge, kinda looks like the SAFER Barrier in NASCAR. Just google both pics and you will see. So...as I stated as well, the HC SHOULD provide more edge protection as a result of this engineering compared to the Speck who's case fits flush. The cost of this protection is a little more bulk to look of the machine.

BTW...I don't think anyone should really expect a thin piece of plastic to protect a $3,000 laptop from a far fall to the ground.

12. rgr555 macrumors 6502

13. MT0227 macrumors 6502

No edge protection for me, I have the Speck :p