Anyone buy the Macbook to replace their iPad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gusping, May 5, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

If so, how have you coped with the transition. I love my iPad which I use mainly for web browsing and just wondered how the new macbook compared.

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm also considering doing this. Interested in opinions.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Depends on what you mean by that. I have always had a Mac, so it's not replacing the iPad for me, but rather possibly allowing me to go without an iPad due to how light and portable it is.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I didn't mean for it to replace my iPad, but it has. I use to use my iPad every single day, but have not picked it up in a few weeks.

5. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

If I am surfing the web on my sofa in the evenings, I have been picking up my new rMB for this task and it has been awesome and a lot of fun to use.... not sure if i'm just doing it because it is a shiny new toy or if it is truly a replacement for my iPad yet, but I have barely touched my iPad since the rMB arrived.

6. gusping, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have the top spec 15" rMPB but am super tempted with the new rMB

7. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

I suspect when mine arrives I will use it much more than my iPad. I practically stopped using my MacBook when I got the first retina iPad because it was so much faster and lighter but I think that will reverse when rMB arrives. My iPad only seems to stay charged for 1 day at the moment because it use so much.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well I went from a maxed out 13" rMBP to the 12" rMB. I also already have an iPad. So for me the only thing the rMB is replacing is my rMBP. But I am considering selling my iPad as I already didn't get much use out of it.

9. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... When I'll be able to get my hands on one. I'm quite sure it will replace both, my rMBP and my iPad. Which is an ultimate victory. Power of the OS X and proper computer hardware in almost iPad size package is priceless.

This leaves me with only rMB and iPhone which is quite optimal.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I have been bouncing around for a while between both sizes of the MBA, the 13" rMBP and the iPA2 & BTKP. The macbook is totally in the middle of the goldilocks zone for me. Loving it.

11. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

+1

12. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I still use my iPad to read books and magazines, not much else. The rMB is just the right size to carry everywhere in the house and while out.

So I'll be keeping both.

13. rahulr macrumors regular

I have no idea where my iPad is in the two weeks I have had this MB. I didn't intend on replacing the iPad. But the iPhone becomes my bedtime reading companion and the MB does everything else the iPad did.

14. mccjim12 macrumors member

I plan on buying one, basically to replace my iPad Air. I never really warmed up to the iPad due to its limitations and the lack of a keyboard so the form factor of the rMB along with full OSX functionality is really a no brainer.

15. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

I bought one to use for writing/work. It's nibbled into a little bit of my iPad's usage, as it's so crazy small and easy to crank out some emails on, etc.... But when I just want to read or watch something, I still reach for the iPad. There are some tasks for which it is just perfectly suited. I'm keeping both, personally.

----------

Ya, if you want full OS functionality, then the iPad is a frustrating substitute. You'll love the rMB, though.

16. Elise macrumors 6502

No in fact I just bought an iPad mini which I'll still use for reading or to use in situations where using my rMB isn't really appropriate, like when I'm on the tube.