Anyone buy the MacPro 15" i7 with Apple SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mindquest, May 27, 2010.

1. mindquest macrumors regular

Looking at purchasing Macbook Pro 15" i7 with the Apple SSD and wanted to know if anyone has and what their experience has been so far.

DOes anyone know who makes Apple's SSD's?

I am not into taking it apart and swapping out the SSD later so I thought I would just buy it already installed.

Any thoughts are appreciated on this!

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah the hassle of taking it apart can be annoying. but i would advise buying an aftermarket ssd. 1) could be cheaper 2) could be better. best of luck on your decision.

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've been using various top of the line SSD's for the last year in my various ThinkPads. My opinion is the technology is not mature enough yet. Don't get me wrong they are very fast when new. However as the months go by and you build up the hours of run time, they begin to slow down. Some far more than others. It's because TRIM (garbage cleanup) is not perfected yet. Since I have a large budget I can afford to test several brands, but as far as endorsing them I cannot. I say wait at least six to eight months at which time the technology _and_price will be much better, then it will be time to choose one as your main internal storage device.

Cheers...:)

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Apple rebrands TOSHIBA SSDs. They are crappy. Bottomline is if you are going to empty your wallet on an SSD, buy a good quality one, like Intel.

Swapping the drives is as easy is brushing your teeth. You take out 12 screws from the bottom, two screws on the bracket, unplug the SATA connector and another four mounting screws on the drive. Swap drives and just rewind the process, takes less than 10 minutes in total. My pet cat can do it when she's not busy chasing insects, so son't let it intimidate you. :)

5. krisjon macrumors regular

Wrong. The SSDs being used in the new MBPs are Samsung G2s and they're actually solidly performing drives with an Apple custom driver. Are they the fastest on the market? No, but they hold their own (check any reliable review source) and are being spec'd for their durability and performance over time.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm on the 15" i7 right now with 8GB of RAM and the Apple 512GB SSD. It's been working great for me. Some of the other drives perform better, but they also seem to struggle wish issues related to power consumption, reliability, sleep / hibernate issues, etc. I had an aftermarket SSD in my last MacBook Pro, and I just figured this would be best to go the Apple route. Plus, there aren't many 512GB options out there, and I think Apple actually priced the 512GB fairly, relative to the way the aftermarket drives are priced.

It doesn't heat up at all. Very quick. I like.

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

8. krisjon macrumors regular

They can't be in the aftermarket. It's an OEM-only and Apple flashes their own custom driver on to it at the factory to work best with the new MBPs.

9. krisjon macrumors regular

I completely agree. I have the 256GB and it's been great so far. When the technology improves more and the price drops, I'll probably uprgrade, but right now having a good performing, full Applecare-covered SSD with Apple's own drivers (so it works properly like you mentioned) is good enough for me. I run mine through the ringer everyday with a lot of graphics work and big files and it's very fast/benchmarks well.

10. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

11. krisjon macrumors regular

My mistake as well with my typing. No need to research more. I know it's Toshiba as I had the G2 part right (and I have one). Had just been reading something about Samsung and accidentally transposed it.