anyone buy used/"refurbished" mac from OWC??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by backinblack875, Sep 28, 2017.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

2. Bollockser macrumors regular

Overpriced and they wont send you pictures of the actual machine youre buying.

3. kschendel macrumors 65816

OWC are reasonably reputable. If the price is right for you, go ahead. You can often do better than their pricing though.

4. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

Where though? lol

5. kschendel macrumors 65816

ebay. Craigslist. local mac resellers. Google for used imac and any number of sites turn up. The OWC price leaders are 2011's, watch out for the ones with the HD 6970 (I think that was the model) graphic card that has a ridiculously high failure rate. Ignoring those, it looks like OWC's prices for today are relatively competitive. Do shop around, though.

6. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Nope.
    Wouldn't buy a free glass of water from OWC!

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Unless you're really REALLY poor, if you want a "good used" Mac, get an Apple factory-refurbished model from refurbme.com.

'Nuff said 'bout that!

8. Larry-K macrumors 68000

I bought a Mini from them. It was in at least as good a condition as advertised, but it did have a paper clip floating around inside of it. It worked fine.

Fortunately I gutted the internals right after buying, which is when I found it, so nothing bad happened, but there was potential for a damaging short to occur.

I e-mailed and chided them on calling themselves "The premier purveyor of used Macs", or some nonsense to that effect on their website, as a result.