Anyone buying both iPad & new MBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by satchmo, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. satchmo macrumors 68000

    Aug 6, 2008
    The struggle for me is that I know (well based on reports), that an iPad won't cut it for writing text heavy articles. Plus, the occasional OSX apps that are too processor intensive for the iPad means that I may buy both an iPad and a MB(P).

    Budget is always an issue. I could buy a new MBP (the new one everyone's waiting for) for $1200 (assuming no price change), plus $500 for an iPad for
    a total of $1700. Kind of pricey!

    Or for $1300, I could buy a refurb white MB for about $800 and $500 for a iPad.

    Of course I could simply get a laptop, but where's the fun in that? ;)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    MBP + iPad... 105% functionality for 150% of the price ;-)
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    If its word processing you are concerned about you can use the Apple BT keyboard (maybe others too) w/ the iPad, so I don't know why it wouldn't be as functional as a laptop for that purpose. Now if you wanted to edit video that would be a different issue.
  4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

    Aug 8, 2002

    Agreed with the first half :)

    For the second half I'd say...for now :D I'm not talking about FCP, but I could see an iMovie for iPad (as part of an iLife for iPad...) In fact, the latest rev of iMovie seems like it'd do well with a multi-touch interface without too too much tinkering on Apple's part.
  5. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

    Nov 17, 2007
    South East Texas
    I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm selling my MBP, upgrading my iMac to the 27" core i7, and buying an iPad. The work I do away from my iMac is all iWork, Mail, iCal type stuff anyway. If I have a keyboard dock where I usually do these things, the MBP is really superfluous to my current workflow. The only thing I'm hesitant about is RAW compatibility.
  6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

    Aug 8, 2002

    I'm doing something similar except I already have the iMac. Retiring my MBP (and Kindle2 and hackintoshed Dell Mini9) and using the iPad as my primary computer. The iMac is (and will continue to be) only a central hub for media and syncing.
  7. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Nov 15, 2007
    Similar! I'm not selling my MBP but my next comp will be an iMac to supplement my iPhone and iPad. Won't need a notebook anymore, iPad will do 80% of everything I need with a computer, with a nice desktop for the rest!
  8. bossxii macrumors 68000

    Nov 9, 2008
    Kansas City
    I will sell my MBP, keep my 27" iMac and buy the iPad as my mobile device. It will easily meet the needs of what now is a very under utilized MBP. IF only the iPad were 12 or 13" :)
  9. mrklaw macrumors 68020

    Jan 29, 2008
    I have a MBP and a mac mini doing HTPC duties.

    Considering selling the MBP and getting either an imac, or using the mac mini as a general computer too (its already my newsgroups & plex machine, and connected to a 1080p TV)

    Think a 21" basic imac would be fine. I don't need power - if I'm encoding video or whatever I can leave it doing that overnight

    I think a portable ipad makes a laptop less necessary, but you still need a computer in the house
  10. goobot macrumors 603


    Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    i already have a mb that works great. it the most current model. also if you too, have the most current model i see no reason to update to a new one that has 3 new changes.
  11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

    Mar 10, 2005
    Yep, prop the ipad up and use a physical keyboard. Then you have a laptop, minus the broad functionality.

    And are you sure you want the $500 ipad? Supporters of the device use that price point often, but it's the bottom of the barrel ipad option. Is 14.8 gigs enough? My iPhone is 32 gigs and I can easily max it out with media.
  12. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    LOL I have a June 2009 MBP 13". I'll get a 3G 32GB iPad. I am interested in seeing what the next MBP's are though. :).

    That is an amazing purchase in one year. Do you plan on getting the new iPhone as well?
  13. mullman macrumors 6502


    Jan 13, 2004

    Planning on selling or repurposing my unibody MBP and going back to a MacPro (or possibly 27" iMac) as my main machine.
  14. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

    Feb 17, 2005
    I've been waiting 6 years to upgrade my G4 PowerBook. I kept forcing myself to wait for the Arrandale MacBook Pros, but now it's boggling my mind, but I'm actually reconsidering — I could get a more powerful iMac AND an iPad for the same price as one MacBook Pro.

    I question the point in me buying just one device that's both semi portable & semi powerful, when I could instead have one very powerful device coupled with one very portable device.

    The way I personally see the iPad is primarily as an @home device. Which means I can use the iTunes remote app on the iPad to play music from my Mac hooked to my stereo.

    So the iPad doesn't actually need any music or movies stored on it, just apps. When you look at it that way, 16GB suddenly looks like plenty of room.
  15. bobob macrumors 68030


    Jan 11, 2008
    Good point!

    (You should add that perspective to the 16gb, 32gb or 64gb? thread.)
  16. NotTempted macrumors member

    Feb 4, 2010
    Estero, Florida
    I am wondering how this type of consumer thinking will effect the bread and butter MBP sales for Apple in the future. I see this happening with the Iphone as well. I take this as possible evidence that the Ipad may indeed be a "game changer" should its 1st generation model be introduced without any major flaws. It may etch away their ability to charge that premium...
  17. Hammie macrumors 65816


    Mar 17, 2009
    Wash, DC Metro
    I'm def. going to get both this year, just not sure if they will be at the same time. I want to wait it out and see if there is going to be a new MBP.
  18. frank.deale macrumors regular

    Jan 23, 2010
    I bought a MBP last year but still plan on getting an iPad. I use the MBP as a movable desktop and will use the iPad for work away from home, since the MBP is a bit heavy.

    I see nothing inconsistent in having both so long as you don't already have a desktop. I would be buying both this year if I didn't get the MBP last year.
  19. greygray macrumors 68000


    Oct 22, 2009
    I'll be buying a 64GB iPad. High chance that I'll be selling my 17" UMBP for a new MBP if it's good.
  20. logimech macrumors member

    Jan 28, 2010
    Hells yeah! Will want the new MBP, and I can't wait to use the iPad on the subway to work.
  21. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816


    Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    My plan for this year is to get the updated iPhone since my iPhone 3G will be 2 years old, and the update is expected this summer. I also plan on buying an iPad with 3G, probably the 64GB. The Mac Book Pro will probably have to wait until next year or the following year. My original plan was to get an iMac next year and then the MBP the following year, but we'll see.

    Currently I am using a Windows 7 laptop and that won't be ready for replacement until next year or the following year. I see myself using the iPad more than the laptop as it is, that is why the iMac might be purchased before a new laptop as I switch to 100% Apple by March 2012.

Share This Page