Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I purchased the stainless steel watch model, in part, for the sapphire screen. A plastic sheet will not be required to protect the screen. No thanks.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
If you read the fine print in the EULA, you are expressly forbidden by Jony Ive personally, to do this to your watch...

nooo.jpg

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Well I do a agree with some that it is not necessary I plan on getting a screen protector. Having gotten the sport I would feel more comfortable with one. During the summers I work at a travel camp and it could get bumped around so I would like something for those days...

backfire103

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
While I wont buy a case I did order a screen protector. I use one on my pebble and cannot even tell it is there. Plus I hate scratches.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
I recently bought the small Sport model but then went to the Apple store to fondle one in person. It was great BUT I did notice that the try-on watch they let me play with had a noticeable scuff on one side of the case. They had not been on display for that long and so I think that if you are a gym rat and you don't like scuffs that a case isn't a bad idea.

I have had a number of sports watches and have gotten scuffs and scratches on them from gym equipment and from things like brushing up against a stone wall by accident. If marks on the watch are just a part of its history for you, don't bother to get a case. If you really don't like your watch looking like it's been used hard, get a case.

My take away from the try on experience: no matter what they say about the hardness of aluminum, it's going to pick up a few marks.

HerdJC

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
West Virginia
I purchased the sport and chose to buy a screen protector for it. I've never been one to purchase a nice watch (this is actually the most expensive one I've ever bought) because I'm generally pretty hard on them, particularly the face.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
Case and screen protector? God no.

I told myself that I'll never put a case on a watch because it looks ridiculous. i workout 5-6 times a week and today I observed my usual movements and how it can possible damage/scratch the watch. Now I'm considering getting a case which I'll only use at the gym.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
I told myself that I'll never put a case on a watch because it looks ridiculous. i workout 5-6 times a week and today I observed my usual movements and how it can possible damage/scratch the watch. Now I'm considering getting a case which I'll only use at the gym.

My thinking as well. I'd like something that's easy to go on and off. I don't have any protection on my iPhone but I don't fiddle with it all day so for the most part it's in my pocket, desk or locker. And when I do use it I'm thinking about it enough to be careful. A watch on the other hand is something that can easily be forgotten about enough to whack it into a door jam or something. I've got a few expensive watches. Enough to know no matter what it's going to get scuffed.

Oh and for everyone that thinks sapphire is the holy grail might be disappointed. While sapphire is much more scratch resistant that other mineral glasses it still will scratch. It's also so hard that it's brittle. I know (at least with regards to watches) some jewelers can buff out some imperfections in watch crystals sapphire is almost never satisfactory.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
My thinking as well. I'd like something that's easy to go on and off. I don't have any protection on my iPhone but I don't fiddle with it all day so for the most part it's in my pocket, desk or locker. And when I do use it I'm thinking about it enough to be careful. A watch on the other hand is something that can easily be forgotten about enough to whack it into a door jam or something. I've got a few expensive watches. Enough to know no matter what it's going to get scuffed.

Oh and for everyone that thinks sapphire is the holy grail might be disappointed. While sapphire is much more scratch resistant that other mineral glasses it still will scratch. It's also so hard that it's brittle. I know (at least with regards to watches) some jewelers can buff out some imperfections in watch crystals sapphire is almost never satisfactory.

Yeah I saw some videos online and it's brittle. I just know that I'll slam weights against it. I tried using a kettle ball and it hits the wrists. Free weights also hit the wrists especially when you place the weights on the floor. Even cable machines will hit the wrists when you're doing biceps. I don't mind the everyday dings but I'll put on the case whenever I workout.

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK

Exactly my thinking. During the normal day I work in an office. The most it will come in contact with will be my sleeve. During the gym it will need protecting as I would be the same with the SS model as well as I will notice any scratches on the case. I've got the SG 42 sport

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I'm considering ordering the Spigen Tough Armor. I work as an unloader/loader at UPS and I want to be able to track all that movement, but I need a tough case with a built-in screen protector for possible bumps, which the Tough Armor has. I'd also probably use it during a workout, but I'd take it off for casual wear.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Considered a screen shield but just bought apple care + instead. If I find myself having to use it I will slap on a screen shield after the first replacement.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I pre ordered a Sipgen thin case guard, have scraped the heck out of my SS watches over the years, for some reason, I seem to love to brush up against masonry walls with my watch :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.